Kentucky Drops SEC Home Opener to No. 14 Georgia
March 12, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky - The University of Kentucky women's tennis team opened the Southeastern Conference home slate by losing its third conference match of the season, falling 7-0 to No. 14 Georgia at the Hilary J. Boone Indoor Tennis Complex on Friday.
In doubles action, the Bulldogs were set to sweep the point when Kentucky senior Christine Johnston and junior Megan Broderick took court No. 2, defeating Yvette Hyndman and Cameron Ellis. The Wildcat pair was down 2-4 early in the match, but rallied back with two straight games to even the tally at four all. The match stayed tight with both teams holding serve until Broderick and Johnston pulled away for the 7-6 victory.
After doubles, the Wildcats faced two top-25 singles opponents. On court one Broderick challenged No. 6 Chelsey Gullickson (6-3, 6-3) and UK sophomore Caroline Lilley battled No. 23 Nadja Gilchrist (6-3, 6-2). At the third singles spot, Hyndman bested Johnston 6-1, 6-1.
Kentucky junior Minnette Pienaar and Bulldog Naoko Ueshima met at No. 4 singles. Pienaar, came out swinging in the first, breaking her opponent's first service game. The two continued to trade breaks throughout the match, with Ueshima eventually claiming the win 6-4, 6-2.
UK meets another SEC opponent Sunday at 1 p.m. EST, when rival No. 12 Tennessee comes to Lexington with a 6-4 overall record. The Lady Vols are 2-0 in SEC play.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for complete coverage of UK women's tennis.
No. 14 Georgia 7 (7-3, 3-0 SEC), Kentucky 0 (1-10, 0-3 SEC)
1. No. 6 Chelsey Gullickson (UG) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-3, 6-3
2. No. 23 Nadja Gilchrist (UG) def. Caroline Lilley (UK) 6-3, 6-2
3. Yvette Hyndman (UG) def. Christine Johnston (UK) 6-1, 6-1
4. Naoko Usehima (UG) def. Minnette Pienaar (UK) 6-4, 6-2
5. Cameron Ellis (UG) def. Elle Coldiron (UK) 6-0, 6-0
6. Lara Fahkoury (UG) def. Nicole Scates (UK) 6-0, 6-0
1. No. 7 Nadja Gilchrist/Chelsey Gullickson (UG) def. Caroline Lilley/Minnette Pienaar (UK) 8-3
2. Christine Johnston/Megan Broderick (UK) def. Cameron Ellis/Yvette Hyndman (UG) 8-6
3. Lara Fahkoury/Naoko Ueshima (UG) def. Nicole Scates/Elle Coldiron (UK) 8-1
Order of finish:
Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles: (3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6)