Women's Tennis Knocked Off by No. 21 Tennessee
March 11, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Freshman Khristina Blajkevitch won her second consecutive match at No. 4 singles for the Kentucky women’s tennis team, but the Wildcats fell to No. 21 Tennessee, 6-1, at Barksdale Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn., on Friday.
Blajkevitch topped Kata Szekely of Tennessee in a thrilling three-set match. The freshman from Victoria, Canada took the first set 7-5 before falling in the second 6-4 to force a decisive third set. Blajkevitch and Szekely played a 10-point super tiebreaker with Blajkevitch finally topping Szekely 12-10. The win was Blajkevitch’s fourth of the spring season.
Sophomore Jessica Stiles dropped a close three-set decision at No. 2 singles to No. 103 Rosalia Alda. After falling in the first set 6-2, Stiles, Kentucky’s co-leader in singles victories this season with six, came back to take the second set 6-3. Similar to Blajkevitch and Szekely’s match, Stiles and Alda used a 10-point super tiebreaker to decide the match. Unfortunately for Kentucky, Alda took control of the tiebreaker and got the win, 10-4.
After losing three consecutive matches, Tennessee (8-3, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) has now won two straight.
Kentucky (3-9, 1-2 SEC) will hit the courts again Sunday when they travel to Athens, Ga., to face No. 11 Georgia. Georgia will be Kentucky’s second straight road match in its current six-match road swing.
Check out UKathletics.com for all Kentucky women’s tennis news.
March 11, 2011
No. 21 Tennessee 6, Kentucky 1
1) No. 64 Pluskota/Nichols (UT) def. Broderick/Blajkevitch (UK) 8-2
2) Sorbello/Alda (UT) def. McGraw/Venter (UK) 8-5
3) Szekely/Meredith (UT) def. Stiles/Testerman (UK) 8-2
1) No. 53 Natalie Pluskota (UT) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-2, 6-4
2) No. 103 Rosalia Alda (UT) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
3) No. 31 Brynn Boren (UT) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-4, 6-2
4) Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. Kata Szekely (UT) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
5) Maria Sorbello (UT) def. Marni Venter (UK) 6-3, 6-0
6) Millie Nichols (UT) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles: 3, 1*, 2
Singles: 5, 6, 3*, 1, 2, 4