Blajkevitch, Stiles Battle in 6-1 Loss
March 9, 2012
COLUMBIA, S.C. - The University of Kentucky women's tennis team participated in its first Southeastern Conference match on the road in a tough match against South Carolina. Junior Jessica Stiles and sophomore Khristina Blajkevitch battled for the Cats in both singles and doubles play but could not sway the, 6-1, result.
No. 55-ranked Blajkevitch and Stiles took on Jaklin Alawi and Dominika Kanakova at the No. 1 doubles spot and found themselves fighting for the doubles point. With a win and a loss in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions respectively, the pair needed the win to start the match off, 1-0, for the Wildcats. The two gave a valiant effort, but ultimately fell, 8-6.
In singles competition, the veterans of the young team once again took on tough roles. Stiles faced Anya Morgina, who occupies the No. 34 ranking in singles play. Stiles dominated the first set, taking it, 6-1, but then slipped in the second set, falling, 1-6. As the match went into a third set, the junior stayed with Morgina but ultimately dropped the match, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3.
Blajkevitch ended the day for the Wildcats in a battle with Kanakova. Kanakova grabbed the first set, 3-6, but Blajkevitch rallied to take the second set, 6-3. As the last two standing, the match moved into a tiebreaker rather than a third set. The two continued the fierce competition, but Blajkevitch was able to outlast Kanakova to post a, 3-6, 6-3, (10-8), final result.
While the victory couldn't secure an overall win for Kentucky, it provided a positive note to end on as the Cats prepare to face No. 2 Florida. The team will travel to Gainesville, Fla., to take on the Gators on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
For more information on the UK women's tennis team, log on to UKathletics.com.
No. 38 South Carolina 6, Kentucky 1
Carolina Tennis Center - Columbia, S.C.
Friday March 9, 2012
1) No. 34 Anya Morgina (USC) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
2) No. 64 Jaklin Alawi (USC) def. Caitiln McGraw (UK) 6-0, 6-2
3) Khristina Blajkevtich (UK) def. Dominkia Kanakova (USC) 3-6, 6-3, (10-8)
4) Katerina Popova (USC) def. Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 7-5, 6-3
5) Adriana Pereira (USC) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 6-2, 6-2
6) Josefin Andersson (USC) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-3, 6-1
1) Alawi/Kanakova (USC) def. No. 55 Blajkevitch/Stiles (UK) 8-6
2) McGraw/Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) def. Morgina/Pereira (USC) 8-6
3) Andersson/Popova (USC) def. Marni Venter/Witten (UK) 8-1
Order of Finish
Singles: 2, 6, 5*, 4, 1, 3
Doubles: 3, 2, 1*
*denotes clinching doubles/match point