Blajkevitch Excels but Cats Fall to IU
Feb. 26, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The University of Kentucky women's tennis team traveled to Bloomington, Ind. to take on the Hoosiers of Indiana University in a weekend matchup. Kentucky's Khristina Blacjkevitch excelled, but the Cats could not pull out the victory, losing the match, 5-2.
Blajkevitch started out the day by pairing up with Jessica Stiles for doubles play. The 36th-ranked duo took on Sophie Garre and Katie Klyczek for a tight match. A tiebreaker was required for the ultimate decision, where Stiles and Blajkevitch took the win, 8-7 (2).
Blajkevitch carried over her success into singles play as she faced Evgeniya Vertesheva at the No. 2 spot. The sophomore started off a little shaky, losing the first set 1-6, but she quickly recovered and dominated the second set, 6-1. As Blajkevitch took the third set, she grabbed the win with a final result of, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3.
Fellow sophomore Cece Witten also brought home a win for the Wildcats. Witten fought hard through the match against Alecia Kauss and almost faced a third set. Instead, she won a tiebreaker in the second set to ultimately defeat Kauss, 6-5, 7-6.
Stephanie Fox also found herself in a battle as she faced Carolyn Chupa. The freshman played three sets against Chupa, but ultimately lost the close match, 7-6, 6-1, 1-0 (14-12).
Next, the Wildcats return home to open up SEC play against Louisiana State University on Friday March 2 at 5 p.m. ET.
For continuing coverage of UK women's tennis log on to UKathletics.com.
IU Tennis Center
February 26, 2012
No. 74 Indiana 5, Kentucky 2
1) Khristina Blajkevitch/Jessica Stiles (KEN) def. Sophie Garre/Katie Klyczek (IND) 8-7 2.
2) Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Caitlin McGraw/Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff (KEN) 8-3
3) Leslie Hureau/Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Marni Venter/CeCe Witten (KEN) 8-6
1. Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Caitlin McGraw (KEN) 6-3, 6-3
2. Khristina Blajkevitch (KEN) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Katie Lyczek(IND) def. Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff (KEN) 6-4, 6-3
6. Kayla Fujimoto (IND) def. Marni Venter (KEN) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles (2, 3, 1)
Singles (1, 6, 3, 4, 5, 2)