Women's Tennis Falls to Akron 4-3
Feb. 21, 2012
LEXINGTON, Ky. – In its first road match of the season, the University of Kentucky tennis team lost a heartbreaker. The Wildcats faced the Zips of Akron in Akron, Ohio, and dropped the 4-3 decision, making the team 8-2 on the season.
The Cats came out strong in doubles play. Per usual, sophomore Caitlin McGraw and freshman Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff took charge at the No. 2 doubles position. The duo took on Angelika Jogasuria and Angelina Jogasuria, defeating them, 8-4. Sophomores Cece Witten and Marni Venter followed suit, grabbing an, 8-5, victory over Olga Shkundina and Natlia Kuvakina. With these two wins, the Wildcats secured the doubles point.
Morin-Kougoucheff and Witten continued to excel as they transitioned into singles play. Morin-Kougoucheff occupied the No. 3 spot, facing Angelina Jogasuria. The two fought for every point, but Morin-Kougoucheff was able to pull through to take the victory, 6-4, 7-5. Witten faired slightly better, as she grabbed a 6-2, 6-3, win over Ksenia Berestetska.
Sophomore Khristina Blajkevitch endured a tough match at the No. 1 singles position against Zara Haruntyunyan. After losing the first set, 6-2, Blajkevitch rallied to take the second set, 6-3. The two continued to battle for the win that would clinch the match, but Harutyunyan edged out Blajkevitch in the final set to ultimately win, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
The efforts put forth by the Cats were not enough to take the win today, but seventh-year head coach, Carlos Drada, sees this match as a building block for the season.
“We played an experienced Akron team and learned a lot about ourselves in the process,” said Drada, “At the end of the season this tough loss will prove to be of great help. I am proud of the way our women competed.”
Next, the Wildcats will take to the road again, facing Indiana on Feb. 26 at 11 a.m. ET.
For continuing coverage of UK women’s tennis log on to UKathletics.com.
LaTuchie Tennis Center
Akron 4, Kentucky 3
1) Haruntyunyan/Pantusart (Akron) def. Blajkevitch/Stiles (UK) 8-6
2) McGraw/Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) def. Jogasuria/Jogasuria (Akron) 8-4
3) Witten/Venter (UK) def. Shkundina/Kuvakina (Akron) 8-5
1) Zara Haruntyunyan (Akron) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
2) Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-2, 6-1
3) Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) def. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 6-4, 7-5
4) Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 7-5, 6-2
5) Cece Witten (UK) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 6-2, 6-3
6) Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Misha Testerman (UK) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 2*, 1
Singles: 6, 2, 5, 4, 3, 1*