UK Women's Tennis Falls at Indiana 5-2
Feb. 20, 2010
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- -
The University of Kentucky women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 37 Indiana Saturday at the Indiana University Tennis Center.
Kentucky (1-7) earned two important victories at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, but Indiana (8-2) claimed the doubles point and won four singles matches to secure the win.
UK senior captain Christine Johnston (Columbus, Ohio) toppled Indiana's Katya Zapadalova 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3 singles in a solid match that gave the Wildcats a bright spot on the day. Sophomore Minnette Pienaar (Graaff-Reinet, South Africa) earned a strong win at No. 4 singles, defeating IU's Myriam Sopel 6-3, 6-2.
"(Minnette had) her strongest play and cleanest match of the season," UK assistant head coach Lyndsay Shosho said. "I'm very proud of the way she competed." Junior Megan Broderick (Tampa, Fla.) made a spectacular comeback at No. 1 singles to force a super tiebreaker, but Hoosier Leslie Hureau held on to win 6-1, 3-6, (10-5).
Indiana took an early 1-0 lead claiming a highly contested doubles point. The UK No. 1 doubles pair Caroline Lilley (Portland, Ore.) and Pienaar fell to IU's Zapadalova and Sopel 8-5. On court two, UK's Broderick and Johnston had IU's Evgeniya Vertesheva and Lindsey Stuckey on the ropes. The UK tandem broke the Hoosier pair to mount a comeback and force a tie breaker, but was defeated 8-7 (6). Kentucky's third doubles pair of freshman Elle Coldiron (Lexington, Ky.) and junior Nicole Scates (Lexington, Ky.) suffered a tough loss to Indiana's Charlotte Martin and Hureau 8-0.
The Hoosiers jumped to a 3-0 lead with singles wins at Nos. 5 and 6 singles. IU's Stuckey defeated Scates 6-0, 6-0 at No. 5 singles while Maria Guerreiro defeated UK's Coldiron 6-0, 6-0 at No. 6 singles.
Indiana secured the victory when Vertesheva defeated UK's Lilley 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
Kentucky opens Southeastern Conference play Saturday, March 5, at Mississippi State. Doubles play begins at 3 p.m. EST.
For complete coverage of UK women's tennis log on to ukathletics.com.
No. 37 Indiana 5, No. 54 Kentucky 2
1. Katya Zapadalova/Myriam Slope (IU) def. Caroline Lilley/Minnette Pienaar (UK) 8-5
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva/Lindsey Stuckey (IU) def. Megan Broderick/Christine Johnston (UK) 8-7 (6)
3. Leslie Hureau/Charlotte Martin (IU) def. Elle Coldiron/Nicole Scates (UK) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def Megan Broderick (UK) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU) def Caroline Lilley (UK) 6-2, 6-1
3. Christine Johnston (UK) def Katya Zapadalova (IU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Minnette Pienaar (UK) def Myriam Sopel (IU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lindsey Stuckey (IU) def Nicole Scates (UK) 6-0, 6-0
6. Charlotte Martin (IU) def Elle Coldiron (UK) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 3, 1, 4