Kentucky Women's Tennis Knocks off No. 55 Ohio State
Feb. 12, 2013
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The University of Kentucky women's tennis team knocked off the No. 55 Ohio State Buckeyes on Tuesday afternoon in Columbus, Ohio, storming back to win four consecutive singles matches after dropping the doubles point to take the match 4-3.
"I am very happy and proud of our team for the way they competed the entire match," UK head coach Carlos Drada said. "We showed great determination and poise during key moments."
The Wildcats fell behind early, dropping the doubles point to go down 1-0. Freshman Nadia Ravita and junior Caitlin McGraw paired up in the No. 1 slot and took the match 8-7 (7-3) but the win was not enough as the Buckeyes had already won the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches.
Down early, Kentucky received a spark from the two top spots. Senior Jessica Stiles took down Kara Cecil in straight sets 6-2, 6-1. Ravita, ranked No. 67 in the country, defeated No. 53 Kelsey Dieters 6-2, 6-0. The early two-set wins gave the Wildcats the lead at 2-1.
Junior Caitlin McGraw kept it going and fought off Grainne O'Neill in three sets, tallying the Wildcats' third point with the 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-2 win. Sophomore Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff clinched the match for Kentucky, notching the fourth point of the match for the Wildcats with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory in the No. 3 slot.
With the match clinched, play continued and the Buckeyes added two points to the final tally. Freshman Kirsten Lewis fell to Gabby Steele 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 4 slot while sophomore Stephanie Fox dropped the No. 6 singles match, 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 6-4.
Kentucky will return to the courts Sunday, hosting Indiana at 11 a.m. and Northern Kentucky at 6 p.m. ET.
"We are eager to have a great weekend and hungry for the upcoming matches," Drada said. "We have two solid teams coming to town and look forward to the matchups.
Kentucky 4, #55 Ohio State 3
1. #67 Nadia Ravita (UK) def. #53 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) def. #93 Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-2
6. Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 6-4
1. Nadia Ravita/Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Kelsey Dieters/Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. E Morin-Kougoucheff/CeCe Witten (UK) 8-5
3. Gabby Steele/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Stephanie Fox/Kirsten Lewis (UK) 8-2
Kentucky 4-2 (0-0 SEC)
Ohio State 4-2 (0-1 Big Ten); National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,5,3,4,6)