Kentucky Drops Match to No. 19 Northwestern
Feb. 11, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Kentucky women’s tennis team continued its early season road trip Friday in Evanston, Ill., at the Combe Tennis Center, but could not pull off the upset bid in a 7-0 loss against No. 19 Northwestern.
Northwestern (4-3) got on the board first by sweeping the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Northwestern’s No. 3 and No. 1 doubles teams clinched the doubles point by claiming a pair of 8-4 victories.
From there, Northwestern carried its play over to the singles matches where they won all six matchups. Northwestern, which sports four ranked singles players, clinched the overall match victory with wins at No. 1, No. 4 and No. 3 singles.
Freshman Cece Witten lost a hard fought match at No. 5 singles. Witten, a Danville, Ky., native, took the first set in convincing fashion, displacing Nida Hamilton 6-2. Hamilton battled back however, and took the second set to even the match at one set apiece. Witten would fight back from an early deficit in the third set to take the lead, but Hamilton mounted a comeback of her own and took the set in a tiebreak, 7-6 (6).
The Cats (0-5) will play again Sunday at No. 53 Purdue in Lafayette, Ind. The match against the Boilermakers will be Kentucky’s fifth road match of its first six matches of the season.
Go to UKathletics.com for all Kentucky women’s tennis news and results.
Combe Tennis Center
February 11, 2011
No. 19 Northwestern 7, Kentucky 0
1) No. 30 Abu Mushrefova/Hamilton (NU) def. Broderick/Stiles (UK) 8-4
2) Chernyakova/Wowchuk (NU) def. Blajkevitch/Witten (UK) 8-3
3) Mosolova/Niu (NU) def. McGraw/Testerman (UK) 8-4
1) No. 52 Maria Mosolova (NU) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-2, 6-0
2) No. 66 Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 7-5, 6-3
3) No. 76 Belinda Niu (NU) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 7-5, 6-3
4) No. 120 Kate Turvy (NU) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-1, 6-3
5) Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Cece Witten (UK) 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (6)
6) Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Misha Testerman (UK) 7-6 (2), 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles: 3, 1*, 2 Singles: 1, 4, 3*, 6, 2, 5