Wildcats Suffer Defeat at Georgia Tech
Feb. 6, 2010
ATLANTA, Ga. - Facing ninth-ranked Georgia Tech for the second time in a week, the No. 31 University of Kentucky women’s tennis team (1-5) fell to Yellow Jackets 7-0 Saturday at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, Ga.
Kentucky was never able to build momentum as Georgia Tech (5-0) opened up the match with a sweep of all three doubles points. The Wildcat duo of freshman Elle Coldiron and junior Nicole Scates fell first, dropping an 8-1 decision to Amanda McDowell and Hillary Davis. At No. 2 doubles, UK junior Megan Broderick and senior Christine Johnston put up a fight against Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn, but ultimately fell 8-6. UK sophomore Caroline Lilley and sophomore Minnette Pienaar also battled on court No. 1 before falling to Sasha Krupina and Irina Falconi 9-7.
The Yellow Jackets maintained control of the match during singles action. Both of Georgia Tech’s ranked players helped push its lead to 3-0. UK’s Lilley fell to Falconi, the nation’s top player, 6-0, 6-0, on court No. 1. Georgia Tech’s No. 66 Krupina then defeated Broderick 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 singles.
Johnston battled during the first set against McDowell on court No. 3, but fell short 7-5. McDowell grabbed the second set 6-2, to lock up the victory for Georgia Tech. Playing the No. 4 seed, Pienaar lost to Blau 6-0, 6-1.
The Wildcats also dropped points on courts No. 5 and 6. Kilborn topped Coldiron, 6-0, 6-0, while Scates gave her match to Davis, 6-1, 6-1.
Kentucky faced Georgia Tech last weekend in the ITA Kickoff Weekend Qualifier Championship Match, falling to the Yellow Jackets 4-2, on Jan. 31.
The Wildcats open their home schedule, hosting Marshall on Wednesday, Feb. 10. The match is slated for a 1 p.m. EST start.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for complete coverage of the Kentucky women’s tennis team.
1. #1 Irina Falconi (GT) def. Caroline Lilley (UK) 6-0, 6-0
2. #66 Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-2, 6-3
3. Amanda McDowell (GT) def. Christine Johnston (UK) 7-5, 6-2
4. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Minnette Pienaar (UK) 6-0, 6-1
5. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Elle Coldiron (UK) 6-0, 6-0
6. Hillary Davis (GT) def. Nicole Scates (UK) 6-1, 6-1
1. Sasha Krupina/Irina Falconi (GT) def. Caroline Lilley/Minnette Pienaar (UK) 9-7
2. Lynn Blau/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Megan Broderick/Christine Johnston (UK) 8-6
3. Amanda McDowell/Hillary Davis (GT) def. Elle Coldiron/Nicole Scates (UK) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)