Women's Tennis Drops 7-0 Decision at No. 38 Ohio State
Feb. 3, 2010
COLUMBUS, Ohio -
The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at No. 38 Ohio State on Wednesday at the Varsity Tennis Center.
The 34th-ranked Wildcats (1-4) suffered three loses via super tiebreakers in singles action. UK senior Christine Johnston (Columbus, Ohio) battled Ohio State’s Christina Keesey to the wire at No. 3 singles, winning the first set 6-4 before losing the second set 6-0. Keesey then fought off Johnston in the super tiebreaker, 10-8.
The unfortunate story repeated itself at No. 2 and No. 4 singles for the Wildcats. UK sophomore Caroline Lilley evened her match at No. 2 singles at a set apiece with Ohio State’s Paloma Escobedo before losing a heartbreaker in the super tiebreaker. Escobedo won the first set 7-5 and Lilley took the second set 6-4. However, it was Escobedo who outlasted Lilley in the tiebreaker 10-8.
UK sophomore Minnette Pienaar (Graaf-Reinet, South Africa) grabbed the early lead at No. 4 singles with a 6-2 first-set win. However, Buckeye Kelsey Haviland rallied to claim the second set 6-3 and the super tiebreaker 10-5.
Ohio State (6-1) grabbed the doubles point, winning two of three doubles matches. The Buckeye tandem of Gabby Steele and Fidan Manashirova topped UK’s duo of Nicole Scates (Lexington, Ky.) and Elle Coldiron (Lexington, Ky.) 8-0 at No. 3 doubles before OSU’s Escabedo/Keesey defeated Kentucky’s Johnston/Pienaar 8-0 at No. 2 doubles. UK’s Megan Broderick (Tampa, Fla.) and Lilley defeated Haviland and Cami Hubbs 8-4 at No. 1 doubles.
After taking the doubles point, Ohio State posted wins at Nos. 5, 6 and 1 singles to claim victory. Manashirova defeated Scates 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6 singles. Steele defeated Coldiron 6-0, 6-0 at No. 5 singles. No. 53 Kirsten Flower of Ohio State sealed the win for the Buckeyes at No. 1 singles with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Broderick of Kentucky.
Kentucky hits the road again Saturday, Feb. 6, to compete against No. 10 Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Ga. The match begins at noon EST.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for complete coverage of UK women’s tennis.
No. 38 Ohio State 7, No. 34 Kentucky 0
1. #53 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-0, 6-3
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Caroline Lilley (UK) 7-5, 4-6, 10-8
3. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Christine Johnston (UK) 3-6, 6-0, 10-8
4. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Minnette Pienaar (UK) 2-6, 6-3, 10-5
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Elle Coldiron (UK) 6-0, 6-0
6. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Nicole Scates (UK) 6-1, 6-0
1. Megan Broderick/Caroline Lilley (UK) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-4
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Christine Johnston/Minnette Pienaar (UK) 8-0
3. Gabby Steele/Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Nicole Scates/Elle Coldiron (UK) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (5, 6, 1, 3, 4, 2)