Women's Tennis Finishes Strong in Hawaii Invitational
Jan. 15, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii - The University of Kentucky women's tennis team ended their run in the Hawaii Invitational with a bang. The team was matched up against Washington State in doubles and Kansas in singles, allowing for a day of highly competitive play where UK came out on top.
The Wildcats dominated in singles against Kansas, winning five out of their six matches. All five matches were won in straight sets, making for an even more impressive outcome.
Jessica Stiles and Misha Testerman had the largest spread in their matches, both defeating their opponent 6-2, 6-0. Caitlin McGraw and freshman Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff followed right behind Stiles and Testerman, with scores of 6-2, 6-1, in their matches. The closest score of the day came from Stephanie Fox's match against Claire Dreyer, where Fox still dominated to win, 6-3, 6-3.
UK also ended with a successful day in doubles play, where seventh-year head Coach Drada feels the team needs to work hardest in order to have a successful season. Fox and Cece Witten certainly put in the effort, as they played an extremely close match against Olga Musilovich and Elisabeth Fournier of WSU that went into a tie-breaker. The duo ultimately came out on top, winning the match, 9-8 (7). McGraw and Morin-Kougoucheff also fought hard in doubles play, defeating Andjela Kankaras and Charlotte Koning, 8-5.
The Wildcats will look to build on their success from the Hawaii Invitational as they enter into regular season play. UK will start off with a home Match against Marshall on January 20th at noon ET.
For continuing coverage of UK women's tennis log on to UKathletics.com.
1. Vasilieva/Luzinav (WSU) def. Stiles/Blajkevitch (UK) 8-4
2. McGraw/Morin (UK) def. Kankaras/Koning (WSU) 8-5
3. Fox/Witten (UK) def. Musilovich/Fournier (WSU) 9-8 (7)
1. Stiles (UK) def. Pezzotti (Kan) 6-2, 6-0
2. McGraw (UK) def. Los (Kan) 6-2, 6-1
3. Windom (Kan) def. Blajkevitch (UK) 7-6 (2), 6-0
4. Fox (UK) def. Dreyer (Kan) 6-3, 6-3
5. Morin (UK) def. Khanevskaya (Kan), 6-2, 6-1
6. Testerman (UK) def. Barnthouse (Kan) 6-2, 6-0