Soccer Drops 2-1 Overtime Heartbreaker at Ole Miss

Oct. 22, 2010

Box Score | UK-Ole Miss Boxscore (.pdf) Get Acrobat Reader

OXFORD, Miss. - After taking a 1-0 lead early in the second half, the UK women's soccer team (8-7-2, 2-5-2 SEC) suffered a heartbreaking 2-1 loss in overtime at Ole Miss on Thursday night.

"We created a huge number of opportunities to get goals, but in the end you've got to bury them," UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. "We didn't score a goal from the play; we scored on a set piece and that's great, but to play that long with that many opportunities, attacking with that many numbers and not bury one in the back of the net, you're looking at a loss."

The Wildcats had a couple opportunities in the first overtime, the first off a Kelsey Hunyadi shot that was saved by Ole Miss goalie Sarah Story. The second was a shot from Taylor Parker that ricocheted off the near post and over the end line for an Ole Miss goal kick.

The Rebels scored the golden goal with 2:28 left in the first overtime on Taylor Cunningham's golden goal, taking a cross from Erin Emerson and putting in the back of the net for the game-winner.

"Credit to Ole Miss, as the second half went on, they started getting more opportunities and as overtime started it was all us," Lipsitz said. "I thought we had two to three chances to end the game, but we didn't and you're going to get punished for that. They finished a great goal and they clearly deserved to win. That's the way the game goes sometimes."

The two teams took a scoreless tie to the locker room at the half. The Wildcats got off to a slow start in the first 15 minutes, but finished strong creating a few scoring opportunities en route to totaling seven shots on goal in the first 45 minutes.

Kentucky finally broke through off a set piece in the 50th minute. UK was awarded a corner kick that Alyssa Telang deposited in front of the goal where Laura Novikoff rose above the crowd and headed home her second goal of the season for the 1-0 UK lead.

Ole Miss was inches from tying it in the 66th minute. The Rebels worked the ball deep into the Wildcat defensive zone where Erin Emerson had a clean shot on goal from five yards out. She lofted an attempt that Sydney Hiance knocked up in the air, misdirecting it just enough to cause it roll along the goal line, but never crossing over.

The Rebels did tie it in the 77th minute when Alix Hildal dribbled through the UK defense, was never picked up and pushed a shot to the right of Hiance for the equalizer.

Ole Miss nearly took the lead in the 88th minute when Dylan Jordan turn and rifled a shot that hit off the post.

Natalie Horner paced the UK attack with five shots, three on goal. Caitlin Landis, Taylor Parker and Kelsey Hunyadi all attempted three shots each.

UK finished the match with a 20-15 shot advantage while taking seven corner kicks to Ole Miss' two.

The Wildcats close out this week's action on Sunday at home, hosting the Mississippi State Bulldogs in a 2:30 p.m. tilt.

UK Post Match Notes•UK leads the all-time series with Ole Miss 9-7-1 and the Wildcats are now 4-3-0 in Oxford.•Kelsey Hunyadi saw her first action since playing 26 minutes at Arkansas on Oct. 10.•The Wildcats attempted seven shots on goal in the first half, the most since recording eight in the first half against South Alabama.•Laura Novikoff netter her 14th career goal.•Caitlin Landis attempted three shots, giving her 49 on the season, the third most by a UK freshman in program history.