No. 16 Missouri Tops UK 2-1 in Fourth-Straight OT Game

Oct. 5, 2012

Box Score

COLUMBIA, Mo. - After the University of Kentucky women's soccer team equalized the game in the 84th minute on a goal from Arin Gilliland, the No. 16 Missouri Tigers d(11-2-0, 6-1-0 SEC) score the game-winning goal in the eighth minute of the first overtime frame to give the Tigers the 2-1 win on a cold, crisp night in Columbia, Mo.

"We were way too passive in the first half," UK head coach Jon Lipsitzsaid. "We came out in the second half and were much better. I thought in the second half and in overtime we played very well. One of things that I said about Missouri in the office this week is they are a team that knows how to win. When you play a game like this one that goes into overtime, it just shows the difference between a good team and a winning team."

Missouri scored first in the 31st minute when senior Haley Krentz fired a shot from the top of the box, which was saved by Kentucky keeper Kayla Price. The rebound came out a few feet from Price's grasp, and the rebound was put home by Alyssa Diggs for her team-high fifth goal of the season.

Kentucky's (8-4-1, 3-3-1 SEC) best scoring opportunity in the first came midway through the first 45 minutes when freshman Kelli Hublyhad an open net and beat the keeper about 10 yards out from goal. Hubly pushed the ball to the wide side, and put just too much on it, missing the shot wide to the right side.

The first half came to an end with the Tigers up 1-0. Mizzou connected with nine shots in the opening 45 minutes, while also showing four corner kicks. Three players recorded shots for the Wildcats in the opening half including Kelli Hubly (2), Olivia Jester and Molly Huber.

Kentucky would score in the 84th minute to equalize the game when sophomore Arin Gilliland headed a ball to the near post past a diving McKenzie Sauerwein. The entry ball was served in by senior Alyssa Telangfrom the attacking side of the center circle. The ball was placed right in the wheelhouse of Gilliland, who gracefully tapped the ball home with her head to tie the game.

The goal was Gilliland's fourth of the season while Telang charted her second assist of the season.

The game would go to overtime with the score 1-1. The game was a program record fourth-straight overtime game that the Wildcats have played. The most UK has ever played was three (1992, 1999).

The golden goal was tallied by Mizzou in the eighth minute of overtime when Krentz scored her sixth goal of the season and second of the game to give the win to the Tigers. The ball was batted around in the box and eventually found its way past Price, who falls to 1-2-1 on the season.

UK looks to get back on a winning track Sunday afternoon in Oxford, Miss. The Wildcats take on the Ole Miss Rebels at 2:00 p.m. ET to conclude the fourth weekend of SEC play.

For continuing coverage of UK women's soccer, log on to