No. 18 Kentucky Falls In SEC Road Opener at Arkansas

Sept. 21, 2012

Box Score

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - The No. 18 University of Kentucky women's soccer team (7-2-0, 2-1-0 SEC) suffered its first defeat of the Southeastern Conference season to the Arkansas Razorbacks (4-5-0, 1-2-0 SEC) 3-2 Friday night at Razorback Field in Fayetteville, Ark.

"First of all, all the credit goes to Arkansas," UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. "They deserved the win. One of the things that absolutely drives me crazy is when I receive text messages and calls about `Oh, look, you outshot them by this.' No. Don't look at the stats. Don't look at anything. (Arkansas) was the better team. They cared more, they sacrificed their body more, they were better coached and they were the better team tonight."

The Razorbacks tallied the first strike of the game in the mid stages of the opening half, as Ashleigh Ellenwood beat Kayla King who dove to her right, but past the outstretched arms of King. Ellenwood's goal was her second of the season.

Just 57 seconds later, UK responded when freshman Courtney Raetzman netted her second goal in as many games, touching it past Arkansas keeper Kelly Roliard. The ball came in from the wing in the form of a pass from Arin Gilliland, who reached the six-yard box and crossed it across the face of goal to a waiting Raetzman who touched it past the keeper to the far post. Gilliland's assist was her team-best fourth.

Arkansas re-took the lead before the first half concluded when Lindsey Mayo found the back of the net on a rebound goal. Arkansas' Tyler Allen had the initial shot off the corner kick that King saved, before Mayo found the back of the net on the rebound.

Mayo scored again with under five minutes to go in the first half as the corner kick was throttled far post and knocked home on the touch of the boot. The goal was Mayo's second of the game, and third of the season. It was also Arkansas' second goal off of a corner kick of the game.

In the second stanza, UK drew closer when senior Kirsten Robinson scored her first goal of the season off a corner kick. The initial ball was sent in by Alyssa Telang from the far side who connected with the head of Natalie Horner. Horner hit the ball, which ricocheted off the keeper and found a waiting Robinson who took a few dribbles and nailed home her first tally of the season. The goal came with just under 15 minutes to go in the game, to pull the Cats to within a goal.

Kentucky would have a multitude of chances in the waning minutes of the game, but could not strike home and the game ended in a 3-2 loss.

The Wildcats return to action Sunday afternoon in Baton Rouge, La., as UK will take on the LSU Tigers at 2:00 p.m. ET.

For continuing coverage of UK women's soccer, log on to