Wildcat Soccer Defense Records Fourth Shutout

Sept. 18, 2009

Box Score | Photo Gallery 

LEXINGTON, KY - The UK women's soccer team continued its defensive dominance recording its fourth shutout of the season, in a 0-0 tie with Western Kentucky (4-2-1).

The Wildcats (2-2-3) have allowed only four goals through their first seven matches, only the sixth time in school history the Cats have pulled off that feat.

With the entire conference slate still to play, UK junior goalie Sydney Hiance tied her career high with four shutouts, the third straight year she's tallied four clean sheets in a season.

However, the Cats offense continued to fail them as they were unable to punch home a goal for the fifth straight match.

"We're getting ourselves in great position in the attacking third, we're facing their goal in the attacking third, but we're not nearly aggressive enough in the attack," said UK head coach Jon Lipsitz. "Until we make a decision to score, we're going to continue to be frustrated. We had multiple times that we were driving into the box and we shot from poor angles, instead of putting their defenders in jeopardy of getting penalty kicks called by being more aggressive.

"Western Kentucky came on to our field and won the majority of the 50/50 balls, all the credit to them and their coaching and their aggression," said UK head coach Jon Lipsitz. "We played nice soccer; we knocked it around the feet, we had some great rhythm, we had some great combinations. We looked like a team, we really did. There were moments where our rhythm was better than at any time this year. But at some point in every attack you have to win a ball and our lack of ball winning ends each attack for us."

The Wildcats threatened to take a 1-0 lead early in the second half off a set piece. Jenna Goblirsch took the free kick from 25 yards out and poked the ball through to a streaking Stefani Kildare. However, Kildare got just under the ball and sent a shot sailing over the goal.

Western Kentucky looked to break the scoreless tie in the 89th minute off a corner kick. Kellie Walker bent a kick that Hiance punched out of the goal and high up into the air. Giuleana Lopez then rose above the crowd to head the ball away from danger and preserve the tie.

Lopez paced the Kentucky offensive attack that recorded a season high 15 shots and six shots on goal, also a season best. Lopez took a game high four shots, while Stefani Kildare tallied her first shots of the season, finishing the game with three.

Kildare led the Cats in minutes played with 105, while Alyssa Telang recorded 104 minutes and Julie Hull netted 100 even.

The tournament concludes on Sunday beginning with Marshall-Western Kentucky at noon followed by Kentucky-Tennessee Tech at 2:30 p.m. The match will be the first of a 2-for-1 ticket with the UK men's team playing at 7:30 p.m. Live stats and a live blog of the match will be available at www.UKathletics.com.

Game 1 - Marshall 3, Tennessee Tech 2

After spotting Tennessee Tech an early 1-0 lead, Marshall countered with three first half goals en route to a 3-2 victory. The Thundering Herd outshot the Golden Eagles 19-3.