Dooley, Swift's Late Magic Lift Kentucky to Darby Win

Sept. 5, 2014

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – After 82 minutes of lucrative attacks on net, shots that just caromed wide of the net and a back save, the University of Kentucky women’s soccer team finally cashed in on a sparkling goal from sophomore Michaela Dooley in the 83rd minute to take a 1-0 lead, before scoring again on a counterattack to take the 2-0 lead and wrap up a fourth-straight win in the Kentucky Darby over the Louisville Cardinals on Friday night.

“Our program instead of us doing so much for the seniors, is always about the seniors being servant-leaders in our program,” UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. “I had this in my head that it would be really cool for this senior class of wonderful young women to go out 4-0 against Louisville and set a standard for the culture that we are trying to create here at Kentucky.”

The game’s eventual golden goal came off the head of Dooley, who was standing at the top of the six-yard box and got on the other end of a gorgeous service from wide back Danielle Fitzgerald in the 83rd minute of the match. The ball was whipped in from 40 yards out by Fitzgerald along the right flank before it found Dooley’s head, who then placed it to the goalkeeper’s right and put UK ahead early.

Zoe Swift then put the match on ice just three minutes later, as Zoe Swift was slotted a great thruball from Dooley at the midfield stripe, who then allowed Swift to go 1v1 with the keeper from 35 yards out. Swift dribbled in from the right-center of the field and then throttled the shot to the keeper’s right and in the upper shelf of the net for her first goal of the season.

Dooley was credited with the assist for the wonderful thruball she played, recording her third point of the match, and becoming the second UK player, joining Arin Gilliland, who has tallied two multi-point matches so far this season.

Friday night’s win in front of 4,166 people at the newly-constructed Lynn Stadium was Kentucky’s fourth-straight win over the Cardinals, and second-straight in the Derby City. Each of the past four seasons, Kentucky has knocked off Louisville 2-0, marking 362 minutes in which UK has yet to allow a UL goal. The stretch of four years marks the first time that a class of graduating seniors has never lost to Louisville, home or away, on the pitch.

“We made some very big changes at halftime because it was clear Louisville’s defending was giving us a lot of problems attacking,” Lipsitz said. “We changed everything and every coach’s dream to have a team that is able to make those changes, trust our coaching staff, and go out and execute our gameplan to come away with the win. Myself and our coaching staff are overjoyed and so proud of this team for their execution.”

The Cardinals’ best chance of the match came midway through the second half when goalkeeper Taylor Braun stepped over the line on a punt in a then-nil-nil match, and allowed the Cards to have a freekick from 17 yards out, and inside the 18. The kick was swiftly taken, and sailed wide to the shooter’s right.

Braun, who is a true freshman for the Wildcats in the net, recorded her third-straight clean sheet for UK and has now not allowed a goal in 277 consecutive minutes.

Kentucky will next take to the pitch on Sunday afternoon at 6 p.m. ET at the Bell Soccer Complex. The Wildcats will be facing the Morehead State Eagles live on the SEC Network+ with Neil Price on the call.

For continuing coverage of UK women’s soccer, log on to