UK Hoops Closes 2010 Thursday vs. UT-Martin
Dec. 30, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The 11th-ranked Kentucky women's basketball team will end a four-game homestand and close out 2010 when it plays host to UT-Martin on Thursday, Dec. 30 at 6 p.m. EST in Memorial Coliseum. The game will be televised live on the Big Blue Sports Network and FSN South and broadcast on the Big Blue Sports Radio Network with Neil Price. In addition, the game will be available nationally on the ESPN Full Court package and ESPN3.com as well as UKathletics.com.
Season and single-game tickets are on sale now. Season tickets in the upper level chair backs, lower level bleachers and general admission season ticket areas are only $45. Lower level chair backs are $60 for the season. Single-game reserved seats are $7 (regardless of age) while general admission tickets are $7 for adults and $4 for youth/seniors. UK students, faculty and staff are admitted free with valid identification. To purchase tickets, visit the Joe Craft Center in person, call 1-800-928-2287 or go online at UKathletics.com.
The Wildcats (10-1) are looking to keep their five-game winning streak alive and chart their 25th consecutive victory at home exactly 24 hours after defeating Middle Tennessee on Wednesday night in Memorial, 81-72.
Despite trailing by 10 points with 7:22 remaining in the game, the Wildcats relied heavily on the veteran play of seniors Victoria Dunlap (Nashville, Tenn.) and Carly Morrow (Lookout Mountain, Ga.), junior Keyla Snowden (Lexington, Ky.) and sophomore A'dia Mathies (Louisville, Ky.) to help secure its 24th consecutive home win. Dunlap scored all 13 of her points in the final 15 minutes while Morrow scored two of her 10 points to help the Cats claw back and regain a lead with 4:35 to go. Mathies, who finished with 15 points and team-high four assists, was 8-of-8 from the free-throw line all in the decisive final six minutes of the game. Snowden was again on fire from beyond the arc as she nailed four 3-pointers to lead UK with 16 points. Freshman forward Sarah Beth Barnette (Lexington, Ky.) had a career night as she came off the bench to record a career-high nine points and six rebounds.
The Cats hit a season-high 11 threes in the game and forced the Blue Raiders into 27 turnovers on 12 steals. After hitting 10 from beyond the arc vs. Arkansas Pine-Bluff, the Wildcats have notched 10-plus treys in back-to-back games for the first time since the 2003-04 season.
Overall, Dunlap continues to dominate in almost every statistical category as she currently ranks fourth nationally in steals per game (3.9) and is listed in the top five of seven SEC statistical categories, including leading the league in scoring (18.7 pgg), blocks (2.1 bpg) and steals. Mathies and Snowden follow Dunlap in the scoring column, averaging 14.9 and 12.2 ppg, respectively.
Kentucky owns a 24-game home winning streak and has won 20 in a row against nonconference opponents. The home winning streak is the school's second-longest and ranks eighth nationally. The school record is 30 consecutive wins from Feb. 12, 1980 through Jan. 31, 1982.
UT-Martin (7-6, 2-1 Ohio Valley Conference) is coming off a 92-67 loss to Louisville on Tuesday at the KFC Yum! Center. Freshman Heather Butler made seven 3-pointers and led the Skyhawks with 29 points. Butler has made seven 3-pointers each in the Skyhawks' last two games. Overall, Butler leads the Skyhawks in scoring, averaging 21.5 points per game. Freshman forward Jaclissa Haislip is the team's leading rebounder with 8.1 rebounds per game.
UK is 4-0 all-time vs. UT-Martin, including a 2-0 lead in Lexington. The last matchup between the squads was last year on Dec. 22 in Memorial. The Cats defeated the Skyhawks (87-47) paced by six 3-pointers and 25 points from Snowden.
Women's basketball parking is available in the following surface lots and parking structures for Thursday's game:
- Student Center Lot - off Euclid Ave
- MLK Lot - the entire MLK lot from Euclid to the Wildcat Lodge.
- Joe Craft Center North E-Lot - large lot located north of the Joe Craft Center and accessible via Lexington Avenue or Rose Street.
- Good Samaritan surface Lot - accessible off Martin Luther King Boulevard
Parking Structure #5 - entrances off Limestone and S. Upper.
- Doors to the Coliseum will open one hour prior to tipoff.
- UK Athletics encourages women's basketball fans to arrive early to ease traffic and parking congestion around the Coliseum.
- Surface event lots (i.e. Student Center, Hardymon, MLK and Good Samaritan) typically reach capacity approximately 30-45 minutes prior to tipoff, at which point, vehicles should proceed to Parking Structure #5.
- For select games over the holiday break (12/18 & 1/9), the parking structure shuttle will begin one hour prior to tip and end one hour postgame. The shuttle picks up on Administration Drive, accessible via the sky bridge located on the third floor of Parking Structure #5. Please note the Parking Structure #5 Shuttle will NOT be available on Dec. 30.
- Handicapped parking (first come, first served until full) is located in the northeast corner of the MLK South Lot; must have valid state-issued hang tag