UK Hoops Concludes Non-Conference Play Sunday
Dec. 29, 2012
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The No. 7/6 Kentucky women's basketball team looks to continue its winning ways when it closes out non-conference play Sunday, Dec. 30 at 1 p.m. EST vs. the RedFoxes of Marist. The game will be televised live on the UK IMG Sports Network and Fox Sports South. It also will be available on ESPN3.
|Kentucky vs. Marist
Sun., Dec. 30 - 1:00 p.m. ET
Game Notes: UK
: Live video, audio, blog, and stats
Radio: UK IMG
Fans can follow the UK Hoops team on Twitter at @UKHoopCats and use #UKHoops to comment on the game.
General admission tickets are available for just $1 on Ticketmaster.com only by using the code DOLLARDAYS. Tickmaster.com stops accepting online requests three hours prior to the event. At the door, single-game reserved tickets cost of $9 for all ages. General admission tickets for adults are $8 while single-game general admission tickets for seniors and children (ages 6-18, 65 and over) are only $5. UK faculty, staff and children ages five and under are admitted free in the general admission seating area, while supplies last.
The Wildcats (11-1) are riding a 10-game winning streak and a 28-game home winning streak after defeating Alcorn State on Friday, 90-23. The 67-point win marked the fifth-largest margin of victory in school history. UK also set a new school record for fewest points allowed.
UK's 28-game home winning streak is the second-longest in school history and ranks tied for third nationally with Ohio State. The school record is 30 set from Feb. 12, 1980 - Jan. 31, 1982.
Junior post players DeNesha Stallworth (Richmond, Calif.) and Samarie Walker (West Carrollton, Ohio) are giving Kentucky a dynamic inside presence this season. The duo combine to average 22.1 points per game and 14.0 rebounds per game and both are shooting over 50 percent from the floor.
Against Alcorn State, Walker posted career highs in points (21), rebounds (14), steals (5) and blocks (3), while Stallworth flirted with a triple-double with 10 points, 10 rebounds a career-high seven assists.
Overall, senior guard and All-America candidate A'dia Mathies (Louisville) leads UK in scoring with 13.9 points per game this season. The reigning Southeastern Conference Player of the Year has compiled 1,598 career points and is tied with former Wildcat great Pam Browning (1974-78) for No. 5 on UK's all-time scoring list. She needs just three points to tie Samantha Mahoney (2005-08) at No. 4. She also ties for fourth on the all-time steals list with 272 and needs six more to tie Leslie Nichols (1982-86) at No. 3.
The Cats' defense continues to dominate as they have held all but one opponent (then top-ranked Baylor) to .403 percent shooting or less. The Wildcats also rank second in the SEC and third nationally in turnover margin at +11.9. UK has forced at least 21 turnovers in all 12 games this season, including five games with 30 or more.
Marist is located in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and is a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. The Red Foxes, who were picked to finish first in the MAAC Preseason Coaches' Poll, are 5-5 overall after defeating Yale 62-50 on Dec. 20.
Overall, senior forward Elizabeth Beynnon leads the team in scoring, averaging 10.9 points per game. She is shooting a team-high .435 percent from the field.
Brian Giorgis is in his 11th year as the head coach at Marist. The six-time MACC Coach of the Year has led the Red Foxes to nine consecutive 20-win seasons and seven straight NCAA Tournament appearances.
UK is 1-0 all-time vs. Marist. It will mark the teams' first meeting since 1993.
Spectator parking is located in the following areas:
- All E-lots surrounding Memorial Coliseum beginning 3 hours prior to tip-off
- Parking Structure #5 (adjacent to Kennedy's Bookstore).
- Lexington Authority Transit Center Parking Garage (new for the 2012-13 season).
- The Lexington Parking Authority Transit Center Parking Garage, located between High Street and Vine Street, is available for parking after 5 p.m. ET during the week and all day on the weekends. Additionally, a free shuttle service will pick up in the LR Cooke Lot near the corner of High Street and Martin Luther King beginning 1.5 hours prior to tip.
- Handicap parking is available in the E-Lot (Employee Lot) north of the Craft Center, adjacent to the metered spaces running along the frontage of the Craft Center with a valid, state issued handicap tag. These spaces (typically 20-30 stalls) are available on a first-come, first-serve basis until full.
Please note: parking is prohibited in any R (Residential) lots. Vehicles parking in Residential lots without a proper permit, along yellow curbs, grass spaces, or other non-specified and unapproved areas may be subject to ticket and/or tow. Also, due to new dorm construction, the Good Samaritan hospital employee parking lot is no longer available for use.
- Shuttles are available beginning 1.5 hours prior to tip off from Parking Structure # 5 located off Limestone and Upper Street and the Transit Center Parking Garage located off High Street and Vine Street.
- Parking Structure # 5 (blue route) picks up/drops off on Administration Drive, at the end of the pedestrian sky bridge accessed from the 3rd floor of the parking garage.
- Transit Center Parking Garage (green route) picks up/drops off near the corner of High Street and Martin Luther King.
- Shuttles will start back up 1.5 hours after tip-off (to return guests to their parking areas).
Game day Information:
- Doors to the Coliseum will open one (1) hour prior to tip-off.
- UK Athletics encourages women's basketball fans to arrive early to ease traffic and parking congestion around the Coliseum.
Surface event lots (i.e. Student Center, Joe Craft Center North and LR Cooke lot) typically reach capacity approximately 45 minutes prior to tip-off, at which point, vehicles should proceed to Parking Structure #5 (PS#5) or the Lexington Authority Transit Center Parking Garage.
For more information on parking around Memorial Coliseum and other game-day questions visit www.ukathletics.com/wbbgameday