Cats Look to Continue Winning Streak Friday
Nov. 24, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The No. 14/11 Kentucky women’s basketball team plays host to the Sam Houston State Bearkats on Friday, Nov. 25, looking to keep its winning streak alive. Game time in Memorial Coliseum is 7 p.m. ET.
|Kentucky vs. Sam Houston State
Fri., Nov. 25 - 7:00 p.m. ET
Game Notes: UK
|Radio: UK IMG
Live Video (subscription)
The Wildcats have started at 5-0 for the third straight season and are riding a 25-game winning streak vs. non-conference opponents at home.
“Sam Houston State is a team that is averaging 79.0 points a game and forcing its opponent into 22.0 turnovers per game,” UK Hoops Coach Matthew Mitchell said. “Those two stats are making us focus on our defense and ball security during our preparation. When I review video on their team, I see a team that has some firepower and athleticism. We need to come focused and prepared to play 40 minutes of Kentucky basketball against Sam Houston State on Friday night.
Kentucky is well known for its defensive pressure as the Wildcats lead the Southeastern Conference in turnover margin (+20.2) and steals (18.2). UK forces an impressive 37.6 turnovers per game and holds its opponent to 50.2 points per game.
Junior guard A’dia Mathies (Louisville, Ky.) has been one of the key catalysts in the Cats’ defensive pressure as she leads the team in steals with 4.6 per game. The All-SEC first-team selection swiped a career-high nine steals vs. Nebraska Omaha, tying for the second most steals in school history.
UK’s defense, which has forced at least 30 turnovers in all five games, averages 40.2 points off turnovers compared to the opponents’ 10.8 ppg. The Cats also have scored at least 80 points in all five games and lead the SEC in scoring offense (89.2).
Mathies leads three players in double-figure scoring with an average of 17.0 points per game. Sophomore Kastine Evans (Salem, Conn) follows with 12.6 ppg, while freshman guard Bria Goss (Indianapolis) adds 10.6 ppg. Sophomore center Samantha Drake (Bardstown, Ky.) is the team’s leading rebounder with 7.2 rpg.
Sam Houston State, of the Southland Conference, is 2-1 after falling at Vanderbilt, 79-56, on Tuesday. Three players scored in double figures led by Britini Martin with 19. Sequeena Thomas added a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds while Angela Beadle added 13 points. The Bearkats defeated UT-Tyler and Mary Hardin-Baylor to open the season.
Fans interested in tickets can visit the Joe Craft Center ticket office, go to UKathletics.com, or call the UK ticket office at 1-800-928-CATS.
Single-game reserved tickets are available at a cost of $7 for all ages. General admission tickets for adults are also $7 while single-game general admission tickets for seniors and children (18 and under, 65 and over) are only $4. Age 5 and under are admitted free.
Season tickets for the entire 18-game home schedule are also still available for $45, except lower-level chair back seating, which are $60 and sold out.
If not able to attend the game, it can be heard live on the UK IMG Sports Radio Network with Neil Price calling the action. Fans can follow the UK Hoops team on Twitter at @UKHoopCats and use #UKHoops to comment on the game. A live video stream is available on the subscription video portion of www.UKathletics.com.
Women's basketball parking is available in the following surface lots and parking structures. Because of the Thanksgiving break, more parking is available in the lots surrounding Memorial Coliseum:
- • Student Center Lot - off Euclid Ave
- • MLK South Lot - between Lexington Ave and MLK Blvd. and south (towards Euclid) of the center drive lane. Note: The residential (R1) lot in the northern portion of the MLK lot will also be available during the Thanksgiving Break for games on November 23, 25t, and 27 only.
- • Handicapped Parking (first come-first served until full) is located in the Northeast corner of the MLK South Lot, must have valid state-issued hang tag.
- • Joe Craft Center North E-Lot - large lot located north of the Joe Craft Center, and accessible via Lexington Avenue or Rose St.
- • Good Samaritan surface Lot - accessible off MLK Blvd
- • Parking Structure #5 - entrances off Limestone and S. Upper
- - Doors to the Coliseum will open one (1) hour prior to tip-off.
- - UK Athletics encourages women's basketball fans to arrive early to ease traffic and parking congestion around the Coliseum.
- - Surface event lots (i.e. Student Center, Hardymon, South MLK, Joe Craft Center North and Good Samaritan Surface Lot) typically reach capacity approximately 45 minutes prior to tip-off, at which point, vehicles should proceed to Parking Structure #5 (PS#5).
- - The PS #5 shuttle will begin one hour prior to tip and end one hour post-game. The PS #5 shuttle picks up on Administration Drive, accessible via the sky bridge located on the 3rd Floor of PS#5.