Cats Meet Southern Miss in Saturday Afternoon Matinee
Nov. 18, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – No. 17/13 Kentucky women’s basketball looks to continue its winning streak when it plays host to Southern Mississippi in Memorial Coliseum on Saturday, Nov. 19 at 3 p.m. ET. Saturday’s game marks the Wildcats’ third game in five days.
|Kentucky vs. Southern Miss
Sat., Nov. 19 - 3:00 p.m. ET
Game Notes: UK | USM
Important Coverage Information
Radio: UK IMG
Live Video (subscription)
“We are heading into a game tomorrow that will be very challenging to us,” UK Hoops Coach Matthew Mitchell said. “Southern Miss is a team that has some very high-level players. I am extremely impressed with the players they have in their backcourt. This is a very short preparation period for us, and we are going to have to rely on our defensive fundamentals to carry us through to tomorrow. We will be looking for a very strong effort from our team to beat a very good Southern Mississippi team.”
Kentucky is 3-0 to start the season for the third consecutive year and its defensive pressure has once again been the name of the game. The Wildcats, who lead the Southeastern Conference in seven different statistical categories, including turnover margin and steals, have forced a staggering 115 turnovers so far this season which averages to 38.3 turnovers forced per game. Against Jacksonville State on Tuesday, UK set the school record for most turnovers forced (48) and tied the program record for fewest points allowed in a game (25).
Offensively, junior guard A’dia Mathies (Louisville, Ky.) leads four players in double-digit scoring, averaging 18.0 points per game (2nd in the SEC). Sophomore guard Kastine Evans (Salem, Conn.) follows with 13.0 ppg, while senior sharp-shooter Keyla Snowden (Lexington, Ky.) and freshman center Azia Bishop (Toledo, Ohio) average 11.3 and 10.7 ppg, respectively.
Southern Miss (1-1) travels to Lexington for the first time in program history after back-to-back home games to open the season. The Lady Eagles defeated William Carey in their season opener (62-46) and fell to Ohio Valley Conference opponent Tennessee-Martin on Wednesday, 88-69.
UK leads the all-time series 2-0 after defeating the Lady Eagles last year in the championship game of their Thanksgiving tournament, 79-60.
Fans interested in tickets can visit the Joe Craft Center ticket office, go to UKathletics.com, or call the UK ticket office at 1-800-928-CATS.
Single-game reserved tickets are available at a cost of $7 for all ages. General admission tickets for adults are also $7 while single-game general admission tickets for seniors and children (18 and under, 65 and over) are only $4. Age 5 and under are admitted free.
Season tickets for the entire 18-game home schedule are also still available for $45, except lower-level chair back seating, which are $60 and sold out.
If not able to attend the game, it can be heard live on the UK IMG Sports Radio Network, including 1580 WGVN AM in Lexington with Keith Elkins calling the action. Fans can follow the UK Hoops team on Twitter at @UKHoopCats and use #UKHoops to comment on the game. A live video stream is available on the subscription video portion of www.UKathletics.com.
Women's basketball parking is available in the following surface lots and parking structures:
- Student Center Lot - off Euclid Ave
- MLK South Lot - between Lexington Ave and MLK Blvd. and south (towards Euclid) of the center drive lane. DO NOT PARK IN NORTH MLK LOT (closest to Wildcat Lodge) AS THIS IS A RESIDENTIAL LOT AND SUBJECT TO TICKET/TOW
- Handicapped Parking (first come-first served until full) is located in the Northeast corner of the MLK South Lot, must have valid state-issued hang tag
- Joe Craft Center North E-Lot - large lot located north of the Joe Craft Center, and accessible via Lexington Avenue or Rose St.
- Good Samaritan surface Lot - accessible off MLK Blvd
- Parking Structure #5 - entrances off Limestone and S. Upper
- Doors to the Coliseum will open one (1) hour prior to tip-off.
- UK Athletics encourages women's basketball fans to arrive early to ease traffic and parking congestion around the Coliseum.
- Surface event lots (i.e. Student Center, Hardymon, South MLK, Joe Craft Center North and Good Samaritan Surface Lot) typically reach capacity approximately 45 minutes prior to tip-off, at which point, vehicles should proceed to Parking Structure #5 (PS#5).
- The PS #5 shuttle will begin one hour prior to tip and end one hour post-game. The PS #5 shuttle picks up on Administration Drive, accessible via the sky bridge located on the 3rd Floor of PS#5.