UK Hoops' Pink Zone Game Set vs. Tennessee
Feb. 12, 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Kentucky women's basketball program will join the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) and over 1,250 schools nationally in the organization's The WBCA Pink ZoneTM initiative when the Wildcats play host to nationally-ranked Tennessee Thursday, Feb. 19 in Memorial Coliseum. The game will be broadcast live on the Big Blue Sports Radio Network and FSN South at 7 p.m. EST.
Fans who wear pink to the game can purchase general admission tickets for only $1, while supplies last. Advance tickets can be purchased through the ticket office. Also as a special promotion, game sponsor World Class Subaru and UK Athletics' benchmark sponsor UK Health Care have teamed up to provide pink t-shirts for the first 1,000 fans in attendance. The t-shirts will be distributed at each entrance to the coliseum, beginning at 6 p.m. EST.
All reserved seats are $5, and general admission seats are $5 for adults and $2 for youth and seniors. Ages five and under admitted free. UK students, faculty and staff also are admitted free with valid identification based on availability. For ticket information, log on to ukathletics.com or call the UK ticket office at 859-257-1818 or 1-800-928-CATS (2287).
"We are very proud to be part of this event," UK Coach Matthew Mitchell said. "Being able to use basketball as a platform to support this great cause and raise awareness for this disease is incredible. Breast cancer is taking so many lives, mostly recently our friend Coach Kay Yow. We have a direct connection with her. She inspired all of us to continue fighting and that's what we intend to do. We hope everyone comes out Thursday to help us."
Portions of the proceeds will benefit the Markey Cancer Center located on UK's campus. The Markey Cancer Center was established in 1983 as a Comprehensive Cancer Center. The overall mission of the center is to eliminate the morbidity and mortality of cancer through a comprehensive program of research, education, clinical care and community outreach. The clinical programs and services of the Markey Cancer Center are integrated with UK Chandler Hospital.
The WBCA Pink ZoneTM initiative is a global, unified effort for the WBCA nation of coaches to assist in raising breast cancer awareness on the court, across campuses, in communities and beyond.
The WBCA began the WBCA Pink ZoneTM, formerly known as "Think Pink", in 2007 as an initiative to raise breast cancer awareness in women's basketball, on campuses and in communities. In 2007, more than 120 schools unified for this effort and helped make the inaugural year a success. In 2008, over 1,200 teams and organizations participated, reaching over 830,000 fans and raising over $930,000 for breast cancer awareness and research.
Free parking will be available beginning at 4 p.m. in the following lots:
- Hardymon Employee Lot - located at Rose St. and College View.
- MLK Employee Lot - located on Lexington Ave., west of Memorial Coliseum
- Good Samaritan Employee Lot - located off Martin Luther King Blvd, west of Memorial Coliseum
- Student Center Employee Lot - located on south side of Avenue of Champions, southwest of Memorial Coliseum
- Alumni Center & Career Center Employee Lot - located in the rear (east) of the Alumni House at the corner of Rose/Avenue of Champions.
- Parking Structure #5 (Open at 5:30 p.m.) - located on South Limestone. Shuttle will operate beginning at 6 p.m. and run one hour post-game. Shuttle will drop-off pre-game and pick up post-game at the Avenue of Champions bus turnaround.
- Parking Structure #2 (Open at 5:30 p.m.) - vehicle entrance located on Hilltop Ave., adjacent to the William T. Young library.
Please note that event parking is prohibited in all residential lots and vehicles will be subject to ticket/tow. To access further parking information and a detailed map, visit the women's basketball page and "Gameday Information" link at UKathletics.com.