SEC Launches 'We Back Pat Week'
Jan. 3, 2012
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Southeastern Conference, in cooperation with its 12-member institutions, announces “We Back Pat” Week, a week-long initiative focused on bringing awareness and recognition to the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund of The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee and its fight against Alzheimer’s disease.
During the week of Jan. 15-22, SEC member institutions will support the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund during their home basketball games. During the 17 women’s and 12 men’s games slated for the week, various efforts will be made to increase awareness of the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund. Twenty of these games will be televised.
UK Hoops will support Pat Summitt’s fight against Alzheimer’s on Sunday, Jan. 22 vs. Florida at 2 p.m. ET in Memorial Coliseum, while the UK men’s basketball team will support the cause during its two homes games that week vs. Arkansas on Tuesday, Jan. 17 at 9 p.m. ET and vs. Saturday, Jan. 21 vs. Alabama at Noon.
“Pat Summitt has been a huge influence on my life,” UK Hoops head coach Matthew Mitchell said. “I wouldn’t be the coach at Kentucky without the incredible opportunities Pat so graciously provided. Jenna and I, along with the entire UK Hoops family, will join the fight with the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund in order to find a cure to this devastating disease. We urge Kentucky fans and all women’s basketball fans to join us in this fight.”
Several announcements will be made throughout the games on how fans can get involved and help support the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund.
“Pat Summitt transcends her sport,” UK men’s basketball head coach John Calipari said. “She is a leader in her field and no one has done more for her sport or for women than she has. Ellen and I are pleased that we can take part in the fight with the Pat Summit Foundation Fund to find a cure for this horrible disease. I encourage all of the Big Blue Nation to join the fight.”
“Pat Summitt is a leader both on and off the court. The establishment of the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund only reiterates this point.” said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. “We are pleased that the Southeastern Conference can play a small part in helping Pat reach her goals for The Foundation Fund today and in the future.”
The Pat Summitt Foundation Fund launched Nov. 27, 2011 by Pat Summitt after her diagnosis of early onset dementia, Alzheimer's type at the age of 59. In a videotaped statement shown during the announcement of the Pat Summitt Foundation Fund, Pat Summitt said, "Tyler and I have decided to join this battle, not just for us, but also for the millions of families affected by this disease. I have always told our players, our greatest opportunities are disguised as our greatest obstacles. It is time to treat this obstacle as an opportunity and a stepping stone to a cure."
The Pat Summitt Foundation Fund will make grants to nonprofits which provide:
- Education and awareness of Alzheimer's, its onset and treatment
- Support services to patients, their families and caregivers
- Research to treat, prevent, cure, and ultimately eradicate this disease
About The Pat Summitt Foundation Fund
Pat Summitt and her supporters have entrusted The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee to facilitate the charitable work of The Pat Summitt Foundation Fund. The Fund was established to support Pat Summitt’s dream of finding a cure for Alzheimer’s disease. For more information or to make a donation, please visit www.patsummitt.org.
About The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee
The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee oversees more than 800 charitable funds. In the past twenty years, The Community Foundation has distributed $530 million to community programs and institutions. It is located at 3833 Cleghorn Avenue, #400, Nashville, Tennessee 37215. For more information, call 615-321-4939 or visit www.cfmt.org.
Complete List of Games During 'We Back Pat Week'
All times Eastern
- Ole Miss at Alabama 3:00 p.m.
- Auburn at Arkansas (FSN) 2:30 p.m.
- LSU at Florida (CSS) 2:00 p.m. ET
- Georgia at Mississippi State3:00 p.m.
- Kentucky at South Carolina 3:00 p.m.
- Vanderbilt at Tennessee (SECN) 2:00 p.m.
- Alabama at Florida 7:00 p.m.
- Vanderbilt at Arkansas 8:00 p.m.
- South Carolina at Auburn 7:00 p.m.
- Kentucky at Georgia 7:00 p.m.
- LSU at Tennessee (CSS) 7:00 p.m.
- Mississippi State at Ole Miss 8:00 p.m.
- Arkansas at LSU (FSN) 3:00 p.m.
- Auburn at Mississippi State 3:00 p.m.
- Florida at Kentucky (SECN) 2:00 p.m.
- Georgia at Ole Miss (CSS) 3:00 p.m.
- South Carolina at Vanderbilt (ESPNU) 3:30 p.m.
- Auburn at LSU (ESPNU) 7:00 p.m.
- Arkansas at Kentucky (ESPN) 9:00 p.m.
- Tennessee at Georgia (SECN) 8:00 p.m.
- Mississippi State at Ole Miss (CSS) 9:00 p.m.
- Vanderbilt at Alabama (ESPN/2) 7:00 p.m.
- Alabama at Kentucky (CBS) Noon
- South Carolina at Auburn (SECN) 1:30 p.m.
- Michigan at Arkansas (CBS) 2:00 p.m.
- Ole Miss at Georgia (SECN) 4:00 p.m.
- UConn at Tennessee (CBS) 4:00 p.m.
- LSU at Florida (FSN) 6:00 p.m.
- Mississippi State at Vanderbilt (ESPN2) 7:00 p.m.