Kentucky-Grambling State Postgame Notes
Dec. 29, 2013
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK finished the nonconference season with a record of 12-1, giving the Wildcats just their seventh one-loss nonconference season in program history.
- The win makes UK 379-141 all-time in Memorial Coliseum, including an 89-13 mark under Mitchell.
- The Cats are 71-4 at home over the last five seasons (including three games at Rupp Arena).
- UK has won 44 consecutive regular season nonconference games in Memorial Coliseum.
- Kentucky’s all-time record is 698-478 (.594) in 40 seasons of varsity basketball.
- Mitchell is in his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats and owns a record of 156-63 at UK. Overall, Mitchell is 186-92 in nine seasons.
- He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 156 and winning percentage (.712).
- UK is now 1-0 all-time vs. Grambling State and 12-0 all-time vs. opponents from the Southwest Athletic Conference.
- The Wildcats extended their winning streak to nine straight in Memorial Coliseum.
- Today’s attendance was 5,165.
- Next up: The Wildcats begin SEC play with a trip to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to face Alabama on Thursday, Dec. 2 at 3 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans, Azia Bishop and Samarie Walker.
- The Wildcats are 3-0 this season when using this starting lineup.
- Bria Goss scored the first points of the game for UK with a left-handed layup.
- Jelleah Sidney was the first UK player off the bench at the 17:23 mark in the first half.
- The Wildcats used a 15-0 run to take a 30-8 lead midway through the half and then a 19-0 run to lead 49-10.
- The 60 first-half points were a season high and just four shy of the school record of 64.
- Kentucky’s 41-point (60-19) halftime lead was the largest in school history.
- The UK defense held Grambling to just 19 points, marking the second time this season an opponent has failed to score at least 20 points in the first half.
- UK shot 55 percent (22-of-40) from the field, while holding the Lady Tigers to just 23.3 percent (7-of-30).
- The Wildcats outrebounded Grambling, 32-19 in the half.
- UK forced 17 turnovers with eight of them steals.
- Kentucky outscored Grambling in the paint (32-12), off turnovers (26-5), second chance (12-4), fast break (8-0) and bench scoring (19-2).
- Kastine Evans and Bria Goss each scored a game-high 11 points in the half.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with the same starting five that started the game.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 65 points.
- Bria Goss made 10 of her 12 free throws in the second half.
- Kentucky shot 80 percent (16-of-20) from the free-throw line.
- Kentucky scored 100-plus points for the fifth time this season and improved to 44-0 all-time and 12-0 in the Mitchell era when scoring 100 or more.
- In eight of the 13 games this season, Kentucky has scored 96 or more points.
- UK has hit a 3-pointer in 341 consecutive games.
- Kentucky’s 63-point win marks the fourth win this season by 40 or more points and third by 60-plus.
- UK held Grambling to just 28.8 percent (15-of-52) from the field and 21.4 percent (3-of-14) from 3-point range. It marks the third time this season UK has held its opponent to under 30 percent shooting.
- The Wildcats outrebounded Grambling, 57-34. The Wildcats have outrebounded 10 of their 13 opponents this season and eight by double digits.
- The 57 rebounds tied a season high.
- UK forced 34 Lady Tiger turnovers, marking the third time this season the Wildcats have forced 30-plus turnovers.
- UK is 28-1 under Mitchell when creating 30 or more turnovers.
- Six Wildcats finished in double figures and all 10 Wildcats that suited up scored at least five points.
- Kentucky outscored Grambling in the paint (62-22), off turnovers (47-15), second chance (26-9), fast break (10-0) and bench scoring (44-6).
- Junior Bria Goss registered a career-high 23 points and season-high eight boards.
- Marked her sixth double-digit outing of the season.
- Was a perfect 12-of-12 from the free throw line, which tied a school record for free-throw percentage in a single game with at least 10 attempts.
- The 12 made free throws were a career high and the 12 attempts tied a career best.
- Her five offensive rebounds tied a career best.
- Senior Kastine Evans finished with 11 points and a career-high two blocked shots.
- She has scored 10-plus points in nine of the 13 games this season.
- Her 12 field goal attempts tied a career high.
- Sophomore Janee Thompson recorded her ninth double-digit scoring output of the season with 13 points.
- She now has three straight games with 10 or more points.
- Freshman Linnae Harper finished with 15 points and a career-high tying seven rebounds.
- Her seven made field goals tied a career best, while her 14 attempts set a career high.
- Tied a career high with two steals.
- Freshman Makayla Epps tied a career high with 10 points to go with a career-high seven rebounds.
- Her four offensive rebounds were a career high.
- Her five made field goals were also a career high.
- Senior Samarie Walker recorded her eighth double-digit scoring effort of the season with 11 points.
- Junior Jennifer O’Neill dished out a season-high seven assists to go with a season-high four steals.