Kentucky-Middle Tennessee State Postgame Notes
Dec. 28, 2011
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky falls to 11-2 overall, while Middle Tennessee improves to 9-5.
- Kentucky is now 10-4 against Middle Tennessee all-time.
- UK head coach Matthew Mitchell is now 2-2 against the Lady Raiders.
- Kentucky has not won at Middle Tennessee since Jan. 8, 1989.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is now 127-80 overall and 97-51 at UK.
- Kentucky is now 639-466 in 38 years of varsity play.
- Kentucky plays again Sunday, Jan. 1 at 1 p.m. ET at Florida in each team’s Southeastern Conference opener. The game will be televised on CSS.
First Half Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of A’dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans, Samarie Walker and Samantha Drake for the first time this season.
- UK has started a freshman in 116-of-148 games in the Matthew Mitchell era, including 83 straight.
- Kentucky held Middle Tennessee scoreless for the opening 5:30, forcing four turnovers during the span.
- The Wildcats forced 16 first-half turnovers.
- UK’s bench outscored the Lady Raiders’ bench 11-0 in the first half.
- Kentucky trailed 22-37 heading into the locker room.
- The Wildcats’ 15-point halftime deficit was their largest halftime deficit of the season.
- It was the largest halftime deficit UK faced since trailing by 16 at Georgia on Feb. 17, 2011.
Second Half Notes
- Kentucky opened the second half on a 12-4 run to cut the MT lead to seven at 41-34 at 14:59.
- After committing 18 turnovers in the first half, UK turned the ball over just three times in the second stanza.
- The Wildcats cut the Lady Raiders’ lead to five points on three separate occasions in the second half, including at the 5:42 mark when an Azia Bishop jumper made it 48-53, but would get no closer.
- Wednesday’s loss to Middle Tennessee was Kentucky’s first loss to an unranked opponent since Feb. 17, 2011 when UK lost to Georgia 69-51.
- Kentucky forced 28 turnovers in the game.
- UK has forced double-digit miscues in 95 consecutive games. The Cats are 68-27 during that span.
- Kentucky has forced 427 turnovers this season (32.8 per game).
- Kentucky has forced at least 10 turnovers in 24 of 26 halves this season.
- UK has forced at least 22 turnovers in every game this season.
- Kentucky again got a wealth of production from its bench, outscoring Middle Tennessee’s bench 29-0.
- UK finished with 15 steals. The Wildcats have charted double-figure steals in 12 of 13 games this season.
- With two made 3-pointers, UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 270.
- Attendance was 5,186.
- Freshman guard Bria Goss scored a team-high 12 points and grabbed six rebounds.
- Goss has reached double figures in scoring in 11 of 13 games this season.
- Junior guard A’dia Mathies had eight points all in the second half to go along with a team-high eight rebounds and three steals.
- Sophomore guard Kastine Evans grabbed a season-high tying seven rebounds.
- Sophomore forward Samarie Walker, who started her first game as a Wildcat, had eight points, six rebounds, a season-high three steals and two blocks.
- Freshman forward/center Azia Bishop came off the bench to score eight points in 13 minutes.
- Sophomore guard Maegan Conwright scored seven points, her highest output since scoring seven vs. Nebraska Omaha on Nov. 23.