Kentucky-Duke Postgame Notes
Dec. 21, 2014
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky falls to 10-2, while Duke moves to 8-3.
- Kentucky is now 722-488 (61.9) in 41 seasons of varsity women’s basketball.
- UK is now 189-90 (80.9) in the month of December.
- UK has won 18 of its last 20 games in the month of December.
- Matthew Mitchell, UK’s all-time winningest coach, moves to 210-102 overall and 180-73 in eight seasons at Kentucky.
- The loss snapped UK’s six-game winning streak.
- Duke now leads the all-time series 5-1 overall, including 2-0 in Durham.
- Kentucky is now 2-1 this season against top-15 teams.
- UK is now 16-19 all-time against teams in the current alignment of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Today’s attendance was 6,043.
- Next up: UK will face Tennessee State on Dec. 28 in Memorial Coliseum. The game will be shown on the SEC Network+ at 2 p.m. ET
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Jennifer O'Neill, Janee Thompson, Kyvin Goodin-Rogers, Linnae Harper and Alyssa Rice for the first time this season.
- Marked sophomore Linnae Harper’s first career start.
- Senior Azia Bishop led all scorers with nine points in the half.
- Went 2-of-13 from the floor and 2-of-2 from the free-throw line.
- UK forced Duke into 11 turnovers.
- Sophomore Linnae Harper led the Wildcats with five rebounds, including three offensive.
- Duke went 5-of-8 from 3-point range, and shot 60 percent from the floor (17-of-28).
- Kentucky went 9-of-39 from the floor (23.1%), a season low for a half.
- With UK trailing by seven, Duke outscored the Wildcats 23-9 to take a 49-26 lead at the half.
- UK is now 4-2 when trailing at the half.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with Makayla Epps replacing Linnae Harper and Azia Bishop replacing Kyvin Goodin-Rogers from the original starting five.
- Freshman Alexis Jennings scored 16 of her career-high 17 points in the second half.
- UK went 16-for-41 (39.0) from the floor and outscored Duke 42-40 in the second half.
- Kentucky hit 9-of-14 (64.3) from the free throw line.
- The 21-point loss marks UK’s largest margin since suffering an 81-58 (-23) loss at South Carolina on Feb. 20, 2014.
- Today marks just the second time this season UK has been held under 70 points (61 vs. USF, 11/29/14).
- UK shot a season-low 31.3 percent from the floor (25-of-80), including a season-low 8.3 percent (2-of-24) from beyond the arc.
- Kentucky forced Duke into 25 turnovers and has now forced 20 or more in 11 of 12 games this season, including five straight.
- UK scored 21 points off Duke’s turnovers.
- The Wildcats’ bench outscored Duke’s bench, 40-26.
- Senior Bria Goss missed the first game in her career with a broken left thumb. She had played in 117 straight games with 17 straight starting assignments.
- Freshman Alexis Jennings came off the bench for a career-high 17 points.
- Scored 16 of 17 points in the second half
- Marked her third straight game with double digits and fourth of the season.
- Also recorded three rebounds and a block in 24 minutes of action.
- Senior Jennifer O'Neill scored 17 points in 36 minutes.
- Hit 5-of-21 from the floor, and made UK’s only two 3-pointers.
- Swiped a season-high tying four steals.
- Her 21 field goals attempted tied a season high (at CMU, 11/22).
- Moved into sole possession of No. 21 on UK’s all-time scoring list with 1,157 career points.
- Senior Azia Bishop recorded a season-high tying 15 points in 27 minutes.
- Hit a season-high tying seven field goals on a season-high 13 attempts.
- Marked her second straight double-figure scoring game and fifth of the season.
- Also had five rebounds, two steals and a block.