Kentucky-UC Santa Barbara Postgame Notes
Dec. 21, 2008
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improves to 7-5 while UC Santa Barbara falls to 3-6.
- This was the first meeting between the Wildcats and Gauchos. UK is now 4-0 all-time against teams from the Gauchos’ Big West Conference.
- Kentucky is now 567-436 in 35 years of varsity women’s basketball.
- The Cats own a 304-134 (69.4%) mark in Memorial Coliseum. Matthew Mitchell improves to 14-6 all-time in the Coliseum.
- The Wildcats remain at home for a contest Tuesday, Dec. 30 against IUPUI at 7 p.m. ET in Memorial Coliseum.
Team Game Notes
- The starting lineup of Carly Morrow, Eleia Roddy, Amber Smith, Amani Franklin and Victoria Dunlap improves to 3-2 this season.
- Key run: UK led 40-23 at the half, paced by sophomore Amani Franklin’s 20 first half points. She hit 7-of-9 from the floor and 5-of-6 from beyond the arc in the 17-point advantage.
- Kentucky tied a season-high from the perimeter with seven three-pointers in the first half alone. Franklin hit five while Smith and Morrow added one apiece.
- The Wildcats shot 14-of-30 in the first half to tally a season high-tying 40 points. UK also tallied 40 points in the first 20 minutes vs. Alabama A&M on Dec. 19.
- The Cats out-rebounded the Gauchos 36-31. UK has either tied or won the rebounding in all but one game (Long Island) this season and seven in a row.
- Three Wildcats scored in double-digits for the second consecutive time - Roddy (17), Dunlap (15), and Franklin (14). The last time this happened was vs. Alabama A&M on Dec. 19 (Roddy-17, Dunlap-15, and Franklin-14).
- UK shot 44.4 percent for the game. It was the third straight game the Cats have shot better than 40 percent from the floor.
- Kentucky held the Gauchos to 44.2 percent (23-52) shooting. The Cats have held all 12 of their opponents to 50.0 percent shooting or less this season.
- The Wildcats shot a season high 46.7 percent (7-15) from the perimeter, led by sophomore Amani Franklin’s five treys.
Individual Game Notes
- Junior guard Amani Franklin netted a game-high 20 points, all in the first half. The last time a Wildcat scored 20 points or more in a half was former teammate Samantha Mahoney with 21 points in the second half vs. WKU on Nov. 30, 2007.
- She hit a career-high five three-pointers, four which were scored in less than 12 minutes of play.
- Her five three-pointers in the first half tied the school-record for three-pointers in half set by Sara Potts on March 20, 2005 vs. Chattanooga.
- The last time a Wildcat scored 20 points or more in a game was teammate Victoria Dunlap with 22 vs. Cincinnati on Nov. 17, 2008.
- She also charted a career-high four steals in the game.
- Senior center Eleia Roddy grabbed her ninth career, fifth season and fourth consecutive double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
- Roddy also has double-doubles vs. Alabama A&M (17 pts/12 rbs), ETSU (13 pts/11 rbs) 12-12-08 and Louisville (13 pts/15 rbs) 12-14-08.
- Roddy becomes just the fourth player in school history to chart four or more consecutive double-doubles in a season. The last Wildcat to accomplish the feat was Jocelyn Mills with four in 1991. Leslie Nichols also charted four-straight in 1985 while Valerie Still recorded a school-record 11 straight double-doubles during the 1982-83 season.
- Sophomore forward Victoria Dunlap followed with 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting. She also pulled down eight rebounds and dished out two assists.
- Her seven defensive rebounds tied her season high. She also pulled down seven against George Washington on Nov. 23.
- Senior point guard Carly Ormerod did not see action for the sixth-straight game due to soreness in her left foot. Ormerod, who missed 16 games last season with the same injury, has sesamoiditis and turf toe in her left foot.