Kentucky-Yale Postgame Notes
Nov. 29, 2008
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improves to 3-1 while Yale falls to 2-3 overall.
- This was the first meeting against Yale and UK's first meeting against a team from the Ivy League.
- UK is now 82-36 all-time in regular-season tournaments.
- UK meets host-team Long Island Saturday, Nov. 29 in the championship game. The Cats are looking for their 27 tournament title in school history.
Team Game Notes
- The starting lineup of Carly Ormerod, Eleia Roddy, Amber Smith, Brittany Edelen and Victoria Dunlap is now 2-0. The five also started against George Washington.
- Key run: Tied at 82 with 28 seconds remaining in the game, Carly Ormerod intercepted a Yale pass and laid it in with 15 seconds to go, giving UK a two-point lead. Amber Smith then stole the ensuing Yale inbounds pass and was fouled. Ormerod and Smith combined to hit 3-of-4 free throws in the final 11 seconds to seal the 87-82 victory.
- There were 14 ties and nine lead changes in the game.
- For the second consecutive game, four Wildcats scored in double figures. Four also recorded double digits in the George Washington win.
- UK shot a season-high 55.6 percent from the field (35-of-63). It marked the first time the Cats have shot 50 percent or better since a 51.7 percent clip against William & Mary on Dec. 4, 2007.
- Kentucky's 87 points were the most points by a Wildcat team since the 2006-07 season. The Cats also netted 87 points against Arkansas in Rupp Arena on Feb. 18, 2007 (87-60).
- UK held Yale to 43.7 percent shooting in the game. It was the third consecutive game the Cats have held the opponent under 50 percent shooting from the field.
- UK outscored Yale 48-39 in the second half after trailing by four (43-39) at halftime.
- UK outscored Yale 60-40 in points in the paint and 36-9 in bench points.
- UK outrebounded Yale 46-33. The Cats have won the rebounding battle in all four games this season.
- UK swatted a season-high eight blocks, marking the most blocks since eight vs. Marquette in the quarterfinals of the WNIT last season.
Individual Game Notes
- Senior point guard Carly Ormerod scored a season-high 17 points. Her previous high was seven vs. George Washington.
- Charted a season-high three steals, including what proved to be the game-winning steal with 15 seconds left in the game.
- Sophomore point guard Amber Smith also scored a team- and career-high 17 points. Her previous high was 13 points vs. South Carolina and Florida last season.
- Dished out a season-high five assists
- Played a season-high 37 minutes, the most since also playing 37 against Auburn on Jan. 20, 2008.
- Junior forward Lydia Watkins added a season-high 16 points and game-high nine rebounds. She was just one point shy of her career high in points (17) and one rebound shy of her second career double-double.
- Junior guard Amani Franklin scored 15 points in the game, just one point shy of a season high. She scored a season-best 16 points vs. George Washington.
- Sophomore Catina Bett swatted a career-high four blocks. Her previous high was three against Mississippi State on Jan. 13, 2008.