Kentucky-Southern Miss Postgame Notes
Nov. 27, 2010
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improves to 5-0 while Southern Mississippi falls to 3-2 this season.
- UK is 2-0 all-time against Southern Miss after defeating the Lady Eagles (59-44) on Dec. 28, 2001 in the Dartmouth Blue Sky Restaurant Group Classic.
- Kentucky improves to 85-36 all-time in regular-season tournaments and wins its 28th tournament title.
- Sophomore A’dia Mathies was named the Lady Eagle Thanksgiving Classic Most Valuable Player after averaging 20.0 points and 7.0 rebounds in two games.
- Along with Mathies, freshman guard Kastine Evans was named to the All-Tournament team, averaging 10.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in two games.
- Up next: Kentucky travels to battle intrastate rival Louisville at the Yum! Center Sunday, Dec. 5 at 2 p.m. EST. The game will be televised on Wazoo Sports. UK defeated Louisville 101-67 last season at Memorial Coliseum.
Team Game Notes
- Kentucky started with the lineup of A’dia Mathies, Brittany Henderson, Maegan Conwright, Keyla Snowden and Carly Morrow for the first time this season. It was the fourth different lineup this season.
- Kentucky won the tip but was slow out of the gate, missing its first eight shots. The Wildcats hit their first field goal at 14:29 when freshman guard Maegan Conwright made a layup to tie the game at 6-6. UK was 2-of-14 from the field and trailed 14-12 when junior guard Keyla Snowden made a three-pointer at 9:46 to spark an 11-2 Wildcat run over the next 4:34. Kentucky never trailed the rest of the game.
- Freshman Samantha Drake was the first Wildcat off the bench and saw her first action since Miami (Ohio) after suffering a left knee injury.
- UK had its largest lead of the first half at 28-18 with 3:13 remaining and ended the half leading 33-28.
- Matthew Mitchell is now 55-8 when leading at the half.
- UK forced 33 Southern Miss turnovers, including 18 in the first half. Mitchell moves to 5-0 when forcing 30 or more turnovers, including a 2-0 mark this season. UK has forced 24 or more turnovers in four of five games this season and it marked the 53rd consecutive game UK has forced its opponent into double-digit turnovers, dating back to the 2008-09 season.
- Kentucky scored 27 points off 33 Southern Miss turnovers. UK has scored 20 or more points off turnovers in four of five games this season.
- Kentucky started the second half on a 23-6 run and held Southern Miss without a field goal until the 11:41 mark when Tanesha Washington scored on a fastbreak layup.
- Kentucky has started a freshman in 73 of 105 games during the Matthew Mitchell era, including 41 consecutive.
- UK has swiped 10 or more steals in 13 of its last 14 games.
- All 11 active Wildcats saw action during the game with 10 putting points on the board.
- Kentucky matched its season high for three-pointers in a game with eight against Southern Miss. The Wildcats also made eight in their win over nationally ranked Notre Dame.
- UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a three-pointer to 227, dating back to the 2003-04 season.
Individual Game Notes
- Senior forward Victoria Dunlap did not play due to a mild concussion suffered in Friday’s matchup against Murray State.
- Sophomore A’dia Mathies led the team in scoring for the second consecutive game with 14 points. She also recorded four rebounds, a season-high six steals and three assists.
- Mathies has now scored in double figures 30 times in her career and four of five games this season.
- Junior Keyla Snowden has made a three-pointer in 15 consecutive games dating back to last season. She scored 12 points on 3-of-12 from the field and 2-of-8 from three.
- Senior Carly Morrow finished with nine points, including 3-of-5 shooting from three-point range. After a 2-of-3 three-point shooting effort against Murray State on Friday, Morrow has posted back-to-back games with multiple three-pointers for the first time since December of last season (Dec. 4 against Cincinnati [three] and Dec. 13 against Florida A&M [two]).
- Morrow’s three three-pointers made against Southern Miss moved her into sole possession of ninth place on UK’s career list with 103 career three-pointers made.
- Sophomore Brittany Henderson had back-to-back career days on the boards, collecting double-digit rebounds in consecutive games. She backed up her 10-rebound performance on Friday with a career-high 12 boards in the championship matchup against Southern Miss, including seven on the offensive end. She also added nine points and two blocks.
- Freshman guard Kastine Evans contributed 10 points along with a career-high seven rebounds and two steals.
- Junior point guard Crystal Riley tied a career high with 11 points to go with four rebounds and three steals. She also scored 11 points at LSU last season.