Kentucky-Morehead State Postgame Notes
Nov. 19, 2014
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is in its 41st season of varsity women’s basketball.
- Matthew Mitchell is in his eighth season as the head coach of the Wildcats. He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 173 and winning percentage (.711).
- This was the 30th meeting between Kentucky and Morehead State. Kentucky now leads the series 26-4, including winning each of the last 10 games.
- Matthew Mitchell is now 5-0 at UK against Morehead State.
- Kentucky all-time is now 715-486 (59.6) in 41 years of competition.
- The Wildcats are now 388-144 (72.9) all-time in Memorial Coliseum, including a 98-16 (85.9) record under Coach Mitchell.
- Kentucky has won 46 consecutive non-conference games during the regular season in Memorial Coliseum.
- UK is now 88-16 all-time against teams from the Ohio Valley Conference.
- Today’s attendance was 5,923. The game was held in front of approximately 1,500 local sixth-graders who were visiting UK’s campus.
- Next up: UK will travel to Central Michigan on Saturday, Nov. 22 at 8 p.m. ET. The match will be shown live on ESPN3.
- It will be UK’s first road game of the 2014-15 season.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Jennifer O’Neill, Janae Thompson, Kyvin Goodin-Rogers, Bria Goss and Azia Bishop.
- Kentucky has used this starting lineup in every game this season. The Wildcats are now 3-0 with that combination starting.
- Kentucky scored the first 14 points of the game to take a 14-0 lead. It was the longest run of the season for the Wildcats, surpassing the previous season high of 11 straight against Baylor.
- Bria Goss had the first score of the game, hitting a 3-pointer at the top of the key.
- Kentucky took a 45-24 lead into the locker room, its largest halftime lead of the season.
- All 11 Wildcats that played in the first half scored. It was the first time this season 11 Wildcats had scored in the first half.
- Kentucky allowed only 24 points in the first half, the fewest point total by a UK opponent in a half this season.
- It was the fewest first-half point total by a UK point since LSU scored 23 on Feb. 2, 2014.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with the same starting five who started the game.
- Morehead State scored five early points in the second half to cap a 19-7 run from the final five minutes of the first half to the first three minutes of the second half.
- Kentucky’s O’Neill scored four straight points to end that run and push Kentucky’s lead back to 20 with 15:35 to go in the game.
- For the fifth time in Coach Mitchell’s eight-year career as head coach at Kentucky, the Wildcats have started a season 3-0. This was the third consecutive year UK has accomplished that feat.
- The Wildcats are now 32-0 when scoring 90 points or more under Coach Mitchell.
- UK led the entire game from start to finish. UK’s largest lead was 30 points at the 4:56 mark in the first half.
- The Wildcats shot 37-of-89 from the field (41.6 percent).
- UK has made six or more 3s in every game this season, including six against Morehead State.
- Four Wildcats scored in double figures with Janee Thompson leading the way with 15 points, followed by 14 from Jennifer O’Neill, 13 from Linnae Harper and 11 by Azia Bishop.
- Kentucky forced 24 turnovers in the game and scored 35 points off turnovers.
- UK has forced 20-plus turnovers in all three games this season.
- UK had 16 assists on 37 made field goals.
- Kentucky won the rebounding battle 55-35, including 30 offensive rebounds. UK cashed in those offensive boards with 30 second-chance points.
- UK’s 30 offensive rebounds are the most in a game this season.
- Jennifer O’Neill posted 14 points in the game to tie Debbie Miller for 27th all-time on UK’s career scoring list with 1,031 points.
- O’Neill had six rebounds in the game and two assists.
- Wednesday’s was O’Neill’s 50th-career double-digit game.
- Azia Bishop recorded her first double-double of the season and fourth of her career.
- Bishop finished the game with 11 points and 11 rebounds. The 11 rebounds are a season-high and one off her career best of 12.
- Kyvin Goodin-Rogers had a career-best nine rebounds in the game.
- She finished the game with five points, including 1-of-3 from long range.
- Linnae Harper set a career high with 10 rebounds in the game helping her record the first double-double of her career.
- Harper added 13 points and has now scored in double digits in every game this season.
- Makayla Epps had a season-high four assists in the game, adding four rebounds as well.
- Epps ended the game with nine points, including one 3-pointer.
- Bria Goss scored seven points in the game to take her career point total to 1,077. She now ranks 24th all-time on UK’s career scoring list.
- Goss needs three more points to tie Janet Timperman for 23rd all-time at 1,080.
- Goss hit two free throws in the game to move up to No. 7 all-time for made free throws with 317.
- Janee Thompson had a season-best 15 points in the game adding three assists.
- Thompson went 4-of-4 from the free throw line.
- Jaycee Coe scored her first career points for the Wildcats with a 3 in the first half.