Kentucky-Southern Miss Postgame Notes
Nov. 19, 2011
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 4-0 overall, while Southern Mississippi falls to 1-2.
- This marks the third straight season UK has started 4-0.
- This was the third matchup between Kentucky and Southern Miss all-time. UK is now 3-0 against the Lady Eagles all-time, and 2-0 in the Matthew Mitchell era.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is now 120-78 overall and 90-49 at UK.
- Mitchell is one win shy of moving into a tie for third all-time at UK.
- UK has won 24 consecutive nonconference games at home dating back to the 2008-09 season.
- UK is 33-2 at Memorial Coliseum over the past three seasons.
- UK is 53-12 at Memorial Coliseum under the direction of Mitchell.
- Kentucky is now 632-464 in 38 years of varsity play.
- Kentucky plays again Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET against Nebraska Omaha at Memorial Coliseum.
First Half Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Amber Smith, A'dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans and Brittany Henderson. Kentucky is 3-0 with this lineup.
- UK has started a freshman in 107-of-139 games in the Matthew Mitchell era, including 74 straight.
- Brittany Henderson won the opening tip for UK. She is 2-0 this season on the opening tip-off.
- Kentucky raced out to a 12-0 lead to open the game, allowing Southern Miss just one field goal attempt during the run.
- UK’s defense held Southern Miss without a made field goal for the game’s opening 3:14.
- The Wildcats closed the half on an 11-2 run, including an 8-0 run in the final 2:35.
- Kentucky led 37-33 heading into the locker room. The Cats are 3-0 when leading at the half.
Second Half Notes
- Key run: Leading by seven with 12:18 on the clock, Kentucky went on a 9-0 run over the next 1:41 to take a 67-51 lead.
- A’dia Mathies reached 1,000 points in her collegiate career on a layup off a fast break. Mathies’ bucket put Kentucky up 80-67 with 2:55 remaining.
- Kentucky is 29-1 under Mitchell when scoring 80 or more points.
- Kentucky won the turnover margin by +20 (31-11).
- UK won the rebounding battle, 50-44. UK has outrebounded its opponent in all four games this season.
- UK outscored Southern Miss 36-6 in points off turnovers.
- Kentucky forced Southern Miss into 31 turnovers and has forced double-digit miscues in 86 consecutive games. The Cats are 61-25 during that span.
- Kentucky is 28-1 when forcing 25-plus miscues.
- Kentucky has forced 146 turnovers in the first three games of the season (36.5 per game).
- With nine made 3-pointers, UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 261.
- UK had four players reach double figures scoring for the second straight game.
- Every Wildcat scored who was available to play.
- Every Wildcat available recorded at least 17 minutes of action.
- Attendance was 4,266.
- Junior guard A'dia Mathies scored the 1,000th point of her career on a layup with 2:55 on the clock to give Kentucky an 80-67 lead.
- Mathies is the fourth fastest player in UK history to reach 1,000 career points (74 games).
- Mathies finished with a season-high tying 20 points to go along with five rebounds and a season-high six steals.
- Mathies now has 10, 20-point games in her career, including two in a row.
- Senior guard Amber Smith scored a season-high 17 points, while pulling down a season-high six rebounds. Smith hit her first 3-pointer of the season and tied her season highs of three steals and has dished out four assists in all four games.
- Smith is 18 assists shy of Tracye Davis (1987-1991) at No. 7 on the all-time assists list.
- Freshman guard Bria Goss had another career-night, notching career highs in points (12) and rebounds (eight), while tying her career high with four assists.
- Sophomore guard Kastine Evans scored 13 points and grabbed a season-high seven rebounds, including a career-high six offensive boards.