Kentucky-Marist Postgame Notes
Nov. 8, 2013
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky begins its 40th season of varsity women’s basketball.
- Kentucky’s all-time record is 687-477 (.590).
- UK is 32-8 all-time in season-openers and has won five straight.
- Matthew Mitchell is in his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats and owns a record of 145-62 at UK. Overall, Mitchell is 175-91 in nine seasons.
- He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 145 and winning percentage (.700).
- UK leads the all-time series 3-0 versus Marist.
- The Wildcats have now won 11 straight regular season non-conference games, including four straight on the road.
- Next up: UK (1-0) continues its two-game road trip in New York with a matchup vs. Wagner on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 1 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, DeNesha Stallworth, Bria Goss, Samarie Walker and Kastine Evans.
- The start for Thompson was the first of her career.
- Jennifer O’Neill saw her streak of 30 consecutive starts come to an end, as she came off the bench to play 22 minutes.
- Kastine Evans scored the first points of the game on a 3-pointer from the left wing.
- Azia Bishop, Jennifer O’Neill and Bernisha Pinkett were the first UK players off the bench at the 15:16 mark in the first half.
- The Wildcats took their first lead at the 8:43 mark in the first half thanks to an 8-0 run.
- That 8-0 run would extend into an 11-0 run, as UK held Marist scoreless for 5:14.
- Marist scored 18 points in the first 11:49 of the game, but UK’s defense held the Red Foxes to just eight points the rest of the half.
- UK was 17-for-35 (48.6%) from the floor led by Goss who scored a team-high eight points and was 3-of-8 from the field.
- Four players scored at least six points in the first half.
- Evans and Walker each had a game-high five rebounds in the first half.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with the same starting five who started the game.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 19 points in the second half.
- The Wildcats shot 31-of-67 (46%) from the field.
- UK converted on just 6-of-18 (33.3%) from beyond the arc, while holding the Red Wolves to just 23.5 percent (4-of-17) from 3-point range.
- All 11 Wildcats in uniform saw action in the season-opener. Freshman Makayla Epps did not play due to a stomach virus.
- Four UK players scored in double figures.
- Kentucky tied Marist in the turnover battle at 19 apiece.
- The Wildcats outrebounded Marist 47-32, while outscoring the Red Foxes 42-26 in the paint.
- Senior Kastine Evans scored a team-high 15 points and grabbed eight boards.
- Her 15 points are the most she’s scored since recording a career-high 23 on Nov. 11, 2011 at Morehead State.
- Senior Samarie Walker scored 12 points and pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds.
- It marks the 20th time in her career that she has recorded double-digit rebounds and 33rd time she has led UK in rebounding for the game.
- Walker also registered a team-high three steals.
- Has now registered at least one steal in 20 consecutive games.
- Sophomore Janee Thompson finished with 13 points, just one point shy of her career high. She also tied for the team-lead in assists with three.
- Thompson led the team with six made field goals (6-of-11).
- Junior Jennifer O’Neill scored 11 points off the bench on 5-of-9 shooting from the field.
- Junior Bria Goss recorded eight of her 10 points in the first half.
- UK’s backcourt of Thompson, O’Neill, Goss and Evans combined to score 49 of the team’s 75 points.
- Freshman Linnae Harper scored her first career point after hitting 1-of-2 at the free throw line.