Kentucky-Kentucky Wesleyan Postgame Notes
Nov. 7, 2010
- Today’s contest marked UK Hoops’ lone exhibition game of the season.
- This was the second meeting between Kentucky and Kentucky Wesleyan College in exhibition play. The teams last meet in 2007.
- UK Hoops opens its season Friday, Nov. 12 at home against Morehead State. Tipoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. EST.
- Fridays contest is the nation’s first Division I women’s basketball game of the 2010-11 season.
- Kentucky starting lineup included A’dia Mathies, Crystal Riley, Bernisha Pinkett, Samantha Drake and Victoria Dunlap.
- Dunlap controlled the opening tip to Riley.
- Mathies puts UK’s first points on the board with a layup at the 19:20 mark.
- Riley hits Kentucky’s first 3-pointer with 18:12 remaining in the first half.
- Bernisha Pinkett hit a 3-pointer with 17:40 remaining the first half to give Kentucky an 8-6 lead. UK never trailed afterward.
- Dunlap scored six points during an 8-0 UK run to give the Wildcats a 19-9 lead at 13:52.
- Kentucky Wesleyan pulled to within 27-24 at 8:56 on a pair of free throws by Kourtney Rhoads.
- Kentucky immediately responded with a 12-1 spurt to build its largest lead of the first half at 41-25.
- Kentucky Wesleyan started the half on a 7-2 run to cut it to 47-42 at 17:46.
- Kentucky went on a 32-0 run after KWC cut it to five with 17:46 left in the second half.
- During the nine-minute run, Brittany Henderson led Kentucky with eight points followed by Samantha Drake with six.
- Kentucky scored 58 points off 40 turnovers by Kentucky Wesleyan.
- Kentucky shot 49 percent in the game, connecting on 39 of 80 shots.
- UK outrebounded Kentucky Wesleyan 44-30 after being out done in the first half 17-14.
- UK picked up its defense in the second half, holding KWC to 23 percent shooting (5 of 22) after allowing the Panthers to make 50 percent (12 of 24) of their shoots in the first half.
- The Wildcats outscored the Panthers 29-4 in second-chance points.
- Senior Victoria Dunlap led all scorers with 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting, while also leading in rebounds with 10. Dunlap has scored in double figures in 39 of her last 41 games.
- Dunlap contributed in every statistical category adding two assists, two blocks and two steals to her 20 points and 10 rebounds.
- Five Wildcats scored in double figures led by Dunlap. Freshmen Samantha Drake and Kastine Evans combined for 25 points on 9-of-13 shooting to go with 10 rebounds. Evans posted 15 points and three rebounds while Drake added 10 points and seven rebounds.
- Sophomore A’dia Mathies scored 12 points on 5-of-10 shooting and led UK in both assists and steals with four apiece.
- Sophomore Brittany Henderson scored eight of her 10 points during the decisive second-half run. She made 4-of-8 field goal attempts.