Kentucky-Pikeville Postgame Notes
Nov. 6, 2014
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky begins its 41st season of varsity women’s basketball.
- Matthew Mitchell enters his eighth season as the head coach of the Wildcats. He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 170 and winning percentage (.705).
- This was the first meeting between Kentucky and NAIA member, Pikeville.
- The Wildcats are 7-1 in exhibition games under head coach Matthew Mitchell.
- Tonight’s attendance was 1,229.
- Next up: UK will host Appalachian State on Friday, Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. ET in Memorial Coliseum, with the game broadcast on SEC Network+.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Jennifer O’Neill, Janae Thompson, Kyvin Goodin-Rogers, Bria Goss and Azia Bishop.
- Kyvin Goodin-Rogers started her first game in UK colors, after sitting out last season with a pulmonary embolism, and took two charges in the first half.
- Azia Bishop hit a free throw with 19:01 on the clock for the first score of the game.
- UK scored the first four points of the game, before UPike got on the board with a field goal by Khalilah Quigley with 18:07 on the clock.
- UK shot 50 percent from 3, 5-of-10 in the first half.
- The Wildcats also went 9-of-11 (81.8 percent) in the first half.
- UK scored 22 points off turnovers in the first half, compared with 13 by UPike.
- The Wildcats held the Bears to 44.4% and forced 19 turnovers in the first half.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with the same starting five who started the game.
- Makayla Epps scored five-straight points midway through the second half to give UK a 98-44 lead with 11:42 remaining.
- Azia Bishop scored the 100th point of the game with 10:49 remaining on the clock.
- UK outscored UPike 83-29 in the second half.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 78 points.
- Kentucky finished with 141 points. The UK scoring record in competitive games is 133 points in a 4OT win vs. Baylor last season.
- The Wildcats shot 48-of-89 from the field (63 percent)
- UK made 11 of its 23 attempts from beyond the arc (48 percent).
- UK finished with eight players in double figures, led by Jennifer O’Neill and freshman Alexis Jennings as each scored 20 points.
- Ten of the 11 UK players that entered the game scored.
- UK won the turnover battle 37-16.
- The Wildcats scored 52 points off turnovers.
- UK scored 80 points in the paint.
- Sixty-seven of UK’s 141 points came off the bench.
- UK had 32 assists on 56 made field goals.
- Sophomore Kyvin Goodin-Rogers started in her first game in UK colors, after sitting out last season with a pulmonary embolism, and took two charges in the first half. She finished with 13 points on 6-of-10 points, and also took three charges. She grabbed seven rebounds.
- Freshman forward/center Alexis Jennings tied Jennifer O’Neill to lead all scorers with 20 points. She was 6-of-9 from the field, and 4-of-4 from the line.
- O’Neill shot 8-of-12 from the field, and nailed four of her seven attempts from beyond the 3-point line.
- Makayla Epps was the game’s leading rebounder and assister, pulling in eight boards and dishing as many helpers. She also shot 7-of-9 from the field and 4-of-4 on free throws to finish with 18 points.
- Linnae Harper was the second-leading scorer off the bench (behind Jennings) with 19 points.