Kentucky-Bellarmine Postgame Notes
Nov. 5, 2012
- Kentucky begins its 39th season of varsity women’s basketball.
- Matthew Mitchell enters his sixth season as the head coach of the Wildcats. He already ranks third on the UK’s all-time wins list with 114 and his winning percentage (.670) is second.
- This was the seventh overall meeting between UK and Bellarmine but just the fourth since Kentucky became a varsity sport in the 1974-75 season. The Wildcats have won all seven meetings.
- The Wildcats are 5-1 in exhibition games under Matthew Mitchell.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Bria Goss, Kastine Evans, A’dia Mathies, DeNesha Stallworth and Samarie Walker.
- DeNesha Stallworth scored on the first possession of the game.
- Out of the first media timeout, Coach Mitchell subbed in a fresh lineup of Janee Thompson, Jennifer O’Neill, Bernisha Pinkett, Brittany Henderson and Azia Bishop.
- Kentucky never trailed the entire half.
- After a Bellarmine bucket to cut the UK lead to 11-8, the Cats went on a 51-10 run to take a 62-18 advantage into the break.
- UK was 24-for-49 (49%) from the floor led by Samarie Walker who scored a team-high 12 points and was 6-for-6 from the field.
- Kentucky owned the turnover battle 27-2, including 15 steals.
Second Half Notes
- UK outscored the Knights 51-15 in the second half to win by a final score of 113-33.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 82 points.
- Kentucky was a sizzling 22-of-36 (61.1%) from the floor in the second half.
- The Wildcats shot 46-of-85 (54.1%) from the field.
- UK buried 10 treys on 10-of-24 (41.7%) from beyond the arc.
- Eleven of the 12 available Wildcats scored on the night. Junior Maegan Conwright did not see action due to an ankle injury.
- Six UK players scored in double-figures.
- Kentucky won the turnover battle 46-7, with 28 steals.
- Junior Samarie Walker led the Wildcats with 19 points and was a perfect 9-of-9 from the field. The junior also grabbed six rebounds and recorded five steals.
- Sophomore Bria Goss tallied 16 points and was 3-for-5 from beyond the arc.
- Redshirt-sophomore Bernisha Pinkett posted 15 points, while dishing out four assists and tallying five steals.
- Senior A’dia Mathies added 13 points and five steals for the Cats.
- Sophomore Azia Bishop corralled a team-high seven rebounds and added 13 points in just 16 minutes.
- Junior DeNesha Stallworth chipped in 11 points and hauled in four rebounds in her first game for UK.
- Freshman Janee Thompson scored nine points off the bench, while grabbing four rebounds and dishing out four assists.