Kentucky-Nebraska Postgame Notes
March 29, 2010
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 28-7 while Nebraska ends its season at 32-2.
- The series with Nebraska is tied 2-2, but UK leads 2-0 in NCAA Tournament games vs. the Cornhuskers.
- UK is 5-7 all-time against teams currently comprising the Big 12 Conference, ending a two-game winning streak against that league.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell's overall record improves to 91-68, including a 61-39 mark in 100 games at UK. Mitchell's record against Nebraska moves to 1-0.
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Up next: Kentucky takes on Oklahoma in the regional final on Tuesday at 9:07 p.m. EDT / 8:07 p.m. CDT. The game will be televised by ESPN.
- Kentucky advances to the NCAA regional finals for the second time in school history and the first time since 1982. UK lost to eventual national champion Louisiana Tech, 82-60, in the '82 regional final.
- UK has an all-time NCAA Tournament record of 7-6, including 6-1 on neutral courts, and 2-0 in regional semifinal games.
- The win marks the first time in school history that Kentucky has placed its men's and women's basketball programs into the NCAA Tournament regional finals in the same season.
- UK hit eight three-pointers, setting a school record for most three-pointers in an NCAA Tournament game.
- Key run: Leading 43-34 at halftime, UK opened the second half with an 11-1 run to stretch the lead to 19 points. UK still led by 19 (61-42) at the 10:46 mark, giving the Wildcats enough cushion to withstand Nebraska's late run.
- Kentucky extends the school record for wins in a season to 28.
- Kentucky defeated a top-10 ranked opponent for the first time since defeating No. 1 Tennessee in 2006 in Lexington. It is the first time UK has beaten a top-10 foe away from Lexington since upsetting No. 8 Western Kentucky on Dec. 11, 1991, in Bowling Green.
- Kentucky made eight three-pointers tonight. UK is now 9-0 this season when hitting at least seven three-pointers.
- Kentucky extended the single-season team records for three-pointers made (185) and steals (406).
- Kentucky broke the school record for most turnovers forced in a season with 802. The old record was 790 opponent miscues during the 1989-90 season.
- UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a three-pointer to 223 consecutive games, dating back to the 2003-04 season.
- UK improves to 19-1 when scoring 70 or more points in a game this season; 24-1 when outscoring the opponent in the paint; and 19-0 when out-rebounding its opponent.
- UK improves to 20-1 when leading at the half.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of Keyla Snowden, Victoria Dunlap, Amber Smith, Amani Franklin and A'dia Mathies for the eighth time this season. That lineup is 5-3.
- Kentucky improves its record against ranked teams this season to 5-4.
Individual Game Notes
- Freshman guard A'dia Mathies led the Wildcats with 21 points, including 17 of UK's 33 second-half points.
- It is her seventh 20-point game of the season and fourth in the last seven games.
- She is averaging 20.3 points per game in the NCAA Tournament.
- Junior forward and SEC Player of the Year Victoria Dunlap totaled 18 points and seven rebounds.
- Has scored in double figures in 32 of 34 games played this season.
- Broke her streak of at least one steal in 41 consecutive games.
- Sophomore guard Keyla Snowden tallied 13 points, all in the first half.
- Has scored in double figures in four-straight games and is averaging 12.7 points per game in the NCAA Tournament.
- Junior guard Amber Smith notched six points, seven assists and a career-high tying four steals.
- Has handed out five or more assists on 13 occasions this year.
- Averaging 6.3 assists in the NCAA Tournament.