Kentucky-Liberty Postgame Notes
March 20, 2010
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 26-7 while Liberty ends its season at 27-6.
- Kentucky grabs a 2-1 series advantage in the series with Liberty. The Wildcats defeated the Lady Flames 69-57 in Lynchburg, Va., on Dec. 11, 1999. Liberty won the first meeting in the series, 80-76, in Lexington on Dec. 12, 1998. Today's contest marked the first postseason contest in series history.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell's overall record improves to 89-68, including a 59-39 mark at UK. Mitchell's record against Liberty moves to 1-0.
- Kentucky improves its all-time record at Freedom Hall to 10-11.
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Up next: Kentucky plays No. 5 seed Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Monday at 7 p.m. on ESPN2. Michigan State defeated Bowling Green 72-62 in first-round action earlier today.
- Kentucky's NCAA Tournament record improves to 5-6 overall and 4-3 in first-round contests. UK has won each of its last three first-round match-ups in the NCAA Tournament.
- The Wildcats' victory marked UK's first NCAA Tournament win since defeating Chattanooga in the opening round in 2006.
- Today's contest marked Kentucky's first NCAA Tournament game in the Commonwealth of Kentucky since 1983 when the Wildcats suffered an 87-76 first-round loss to Indiana in Lexington, Ky.
- The Liberty game marked the first NCAA Tournament game for 11 of the 12 UK players and the first for Matthew Mitchell as a head coach. Rebecca Gray played in four games as a freshman at UNC, helping the Tar Heels reach the Elite Eight in 2008.
- The Wildcats set three team records and four individual records for an NCAA game.
- UK set tournament game highs in three-point shooting (7-of-11) at 63.6 percent, steals at 16 and tied the mark for three-pointers made with seven.
- Individually, A'dia Mathies set the mark for points in an NCAA tournament game with 32, besting Lea Wise's 30 points vs. Illinois on March 14, 1982.
- Mathies's 12 free throws were the most since Jennifer Humphrey hit nine vs. Jennifer Humphrey vs. Chattanooga on March 18, 2006.
- Victoria Dunlap's five steals were the most by UK in an NCAA Tournament game. Patty Jo Hedges, Leslie Nichols and Erica Jackson each had four steals in an NCAA Tournament game.
- Keyla Snowden set a new UK NCAA mark with four three-pointers. The previous record was three set by Erica Jackson and Carly Ormerod.
Team Game Notes
- Key run: Kentucky trailed 48-47 with 14:40 left in the game before going on a 16-5 run to grab a 63-53 advantage at 10:08. UK never led by fewer than six points the rest of the contest. Mathies scored eight points during the run while Keyla Snowden had six on a pair of three-pointers.
- The win gives Kentucky the most wins in school history with 26.
- UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a three-pointer to 220 consecutive games, dating back to the 2003-04 season.
- UK swiped 16 steals against the Lady Flames, giving the Wildcats 382 steals on the season, matching the school record for steals in a season set by the 1990-91 squad. UK has swiped 10 or more steals in 24 games this season.
- Kentucky has held its opponent under 50 percent field goal shooting in 32 of 33 games this season.
- Kentucky forced Liberty into 22 turnovers. The Wildcats have frustrated their foes into 20 or more turnovers in 25 games this season. The Wildcats are 23-6 when forcing more turnovers than the opponent.
- UK improves to 26-6 when scoring 80 or more points in a game this season; 11-1 when three or more players score in double figures and 6-1 following a loss.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of Keyla Snowden, Victoria Dunlap, Amber Smith, Amani Franklin and A'dia Mathies for the sixth time this season. That lineup is 3-3.
Individual Game Notes
- Freshman guard and SEC Freshman of the Year A'dia Mathies scored a career-high 32 points, to go with four rebounds and four steals. She made 9-of-15 from the field and 12-of-17 from the line.
- It marks the most points by a Wildcat this season since Victoria Dunlap netted 33 points against Butler on Nov. 15, 2009.
- Became just the 11th Wildcat in school history to score over 32 points in a game.
- Came within six points of matching Valerie Still for the school record for points by a freshman with 38.
- Marks her sixth 20-point performance this season.
- Has scored in double figures in 25 of 33 games this season.
- Has pulled down at least four rebounds in 27 games this season.
- Has grabbed three or more steals in 15 games this year.
- Junior forward and SEC Player of the Year Victoria Dunlap scored 15 points to go with a team-high eight rebounds and five steals. She made 9-of-10 free throw attempts.
- Has scored in double figures in 30 of 32 games played this season.
- Has recorded at least one steal in 40 consecutive games.
- Sophomore guard Keyla Snowden had 15 points thanks in large part to a game-high four three-pointers.
- Has made two or more three-pointers in 12 games this season.
- It marked her highest point total since scoring 21 vs. Florida on Feb. 18.
- Junior forward Lydia Watkins tied her career high with four steals.
- Junior point guard Amber Smith handed out seven assists for the third consecutive game.
- Has handed out five or more assists on 11 occasions this year.
- Has 27 assists in four postseason games this season.
- Moves to her No. 10 on UK's single season list with 148 assists.
- Marks the most assists in a season since Rita Adams dished out 162 in 2001-02.