Kentucky-LSU Postgame Notes
March 4, 2011
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 23-7 overall while LSU falls to 19-13.
- The win advances UK to the semifinal round of the SEC tournament for the second consecutive season.
- UK will face the winner of Vanderbilt/Mississippi State on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. EST on ESPNU.
- UK snaps a three-game losing streak to LSU in the SEC Tournament. The Tigers now lead 7-3 in the conference tournament against the Cats.
- LSU leads the overall series against UK 28-10 with the Wildcats winning the last three in a row.
- Kentucky is now 23-31 (.415) in the SEC Tournament and 3-3 overall when the tournament is played in Nashville.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is now 114-76 overall, 84-47 at UK, including a 3-5 record all-time against LSU. Mitchell improves his record in the SEC tournament to 4-3.
- Kentucky is now 626-463 in 37 years of varsity play.
Team Game Notes
- Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Victoria Dunlap, A’dia Mathies, Keyla Snowden, Brittany Henderson and Bernisha Pinkett for the third time this season. This lineup is now 3-0.
- UK has used 12 different starting lineups this season.
- UK has started a freshman in 99-of-131 games during the Matthew Mitchell era, including 67 consecutive.
- Key Run: With the Cats trailing by two with 40 seconds remaining, Mathies drove down the lane for a layup and a foul. Mathies converted on the free throw putting Kentucky up one with 39 seconds left. After a missed field goal by LSU on the next play, Dunlap secured the rebound and was fouled. She made 1-of-2 from the line, putting UK up two for the eventual 60-58 win.
- Kentucky committed 12 turnovers in the game, tying a season low set against Notre Dame on Nov. 21.
- Kentucky has won eight of its last 12 games when trailing at the half. The Wildcats trailed LSU 27-23 at intermission.
- The Cats are now 37-27 (.571) overall in games decided by 10 points or less under Coach Mitchell, including a 9-4 mark this season.
- UK won the rebounding 34-32 and improves to 15-5 when outrebounding the opponent.
- UK is 5-2 this season when the game is decided by five points or less.
- Kentucky forced LSU into 17 turnovers and has forced double-digits miscues in 78 consecutive games. The Cats are 55-23 during that span.
- UK now has 731 forced turnovers this season which ranks fourth on the single-season list.
- With three made 3-pointers, the Cats moved into third on UK’s single-season list with 163.
- Kentucky extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 253.
Individual Game Notes
- Senior forward Victoria Dunlap led Kentucky with 21 points and seven rebounds to go with two assists.
- Scored a team-high eight points in only eight minutes of action in the first half after collecting two quick fouls.
- Came out in the second half, scoring 12 of Kentucky’s first 14 points to regain and build the lead to 37-29.
- With 253 rebounds this season, Dunlap moved into a tie for 10th on UK’s single season rebound list with Eleia Roddy (253 from 2008-09).
- Has scored in double figures 27 times this season, including 19 consecutive and 91 times in her career.
- Has scored 20-plus points 10 times this season and 30 times in her career.
- Sophomore guard A’dia Mathies scored nine points including the go-ahead basket and free throw with 39 seconds remaining in the game.
- Has now recorded at least steal one in 14 consecutive games and 25-of-30 contests this season.
- Freshman Bernisha Pinkett recorded nine points going a perfect 4-of-4 from the free-throw line in her third career start.
- Has now scored at least three points in 15 consecutive games.
- Has now grabbed at least one rebound in 15 consecutive games.
- Junior Keyla Snowden scored six points, including two three-pointers.
- Moved into a tie for sixth on UK’s single-season list for 3-pointers made with Jenny Pfeiffer (57 in 2003-04).