Kentucky-Arkansas Postgame Notes
Feb. 26, 2015
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky snaps a three-game losing skid to improve to 20-8 overall, 9-6 in the SEC, while Arkansas falls to 16-11, 6-9 in league play.
- This marks UK's 16th overall 20-win season, including its school-record sixth in a row.
- Kentucky moves to 732-494 (59.7) all-time in 41 seasons of varsity women's basketball and 169-146 (53.6) in the month of February.
- Matthew Mitchell, UK's all-time winningest coach, improves to 220-108 overall, 190-79 at UK.
- Mitchell is now 80-43 in SEC play, 34-28 on the road.
- UK now leads the all-time series with Arkansas 19-13 and has won the last five meetings, including three in a row in Fayetteville. The Razorbacks lead 9-5 when the game is played in Fayetteville.
- Tonight's attendance: 2,614
- Next up: UK will take on No. 2 South Carolina Sunday, March 1 in its home and regular-season finale. The game will be televised live on ESPN2 and WatchESPN at 5 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Linnae Harper, Makayla Epps, Bria Goss, Jennifer O'Neill and Azia Bishop for the first time this season. This lineup is now 1-1.
- Bria Goss scored nine points in UK's 13-0 run to start the game.
- The Cats used a 24-5 run to lead by as many as 17 points before Arkansas ended the half on a 12-2 run of its own to pull within six, 30-24, at the break.
- UK is now 13-4 when tied or leading at the half this season.
Second Half Notes
- UK opened the second half with Alexis Jennings, Bria Goss, Jennifer O'Neill, Alyssa Rice and Azia Bishop.
- The Wildcats went back ahead by 11 points (52-41) before the Razorbacks, once again, chipped away the lead, pulling within one point, 52-51, with under two minutes to go.
- Alexis Jennings netted a key bucket with 1:18 to play, giving UK a 54-51 lead.
- Bria Goss swiped one of her game-high four steals and scored a layup with just 15 seconds remaining to seal the win.
- It was Arkansas' senior day but three of UK's seniors (Azia Bishop, Bria Goss and Jennifer O'Neill) stole the show and led UK to victory with double-digit scoring.
- UK hit 46.3 percent from the field (25 of 54), its highest shooting mark since netting .484 percent vs. Middle Tennessee on Dec. 12, 2014.
- The Wildcats' defense held the Razorbacks to a season-low 26.8 percent shooting (19 of 71).
- UK won the rebounding battle, 40-37, and improves to 10-3 overall, 4-2 in the SEC when outrebounding its opponent.
- UK outscored Arkansas 38-16 in points in the paint and 10-0 in fast break points.
- UK only trailed 29 seconds, at the start of the game.
- The Cats are now 78-46 (.629) in "close games" (games decided by 10 points or less) under Matthew Mitchell, including 10-5 this season.
- Senior Azia Bishop scored a team-high 12 points on 6-of-8 shooting, her seventh double-figure scoring game this season and second in the last three games.
- Grabbed six rebounds for the second-straight game, and swatted two blocks.
- Currently ranks ninth on UK's single-season blocks list with 48 and is fourth on UK's career list with 147.
- Senior Jennifer O'Neill tallied 11 points and pulled down a career-high seven defensive rebounds.
- Her seven rebounds are the most since grabbing career-high tying eight boards in the season opener vs. Appalachian State on Nov. 14, 2014.
- Marked her 23rd double-figure game of the season and 68th of her career.
- Fourth straight game in double digits.
- Now has 1,357 career points and need just one more to move up to No. 14 on UK's all-time scoring list.
- Senior Bria Goss also scored 11 points, grabbed six rebounds and game- and season-high tying four steals.
- Her steal and layup with 15 seconds remaining in the game helped seal UK's win.
- Has grabbed at least five rebounds in eight games, including two straight.