Kentucky-Texas A&M Postgame Notes
Feb. 19, 2015
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is now 19-7 overall, 8-5 in the SEC, while Texas A&M is 21-6, 9-4 in league play.
- Kentucky moves to 731-493 (59.7) all-time in 41 seasons of varsity women’s basketball and 168-145 (53.7) in the month of February.
- UK is 397-146 (73.1) in Memorial Coliseum, including 107-18 (85.6) under Coach Matthew Mitchell.
- Matthew Mitchell, UK’s all-time winningest coach, is 219-107 overall, 190-78 at UK.
- Mitchell is now 79-42 in SEC play.
- This was the fifth meeting between the programs. Kentucky leads the series, 3-2, including 1-1 in Lexington.
- Tonight’s attendance was 5,516.
- Next up: Kentucky travels to Oxford, Miss., to take on the Ole Miss Rebels on Monday, Feb. 23, at 7 p.m. EST. The game will be televised on the SEC Network.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Linnae Harper, Makayla Epps, Bria Goss, Alyssa Rice and Jelléah Sidney for the sixth time this season. This lineup is now 4-2.
- Texas A&M scored on the game’s first possession but the Wildcats responded with eight straight points.
- UK led 24-16 before TAMU closed the half with a 22-7 run and the Aggies went to halftime ahead 38-31.
Second Half Notes
- UK opened the second half with Makalya Epps, Bria Goss, Jennifer O’Neill, Alyssa Rice and Azia Bishop.
- UK got as close as six points at 39-33.
- UK was within seven at 43-36 when TAMU scored 11 straight for a 54-36 lead.
- TAMU eventually led by as many as 23 points.
- Trailing 72-49, UK closed the game with a 20-9 run.
- Kentucky played its third consecutive ranked opponent, following games vs. Mississippi State and Tennessee. UK is 4-5 vs. ranked opponents this season.
- Kentucky had balanced scoring with five players tallying in double figures.
- UK won bench points 25-12.
- Texas A&M did not attempt a 3-pointer, the first game this season that UK has held the opponent without a three.
- Marks the first time UK has lost back-to-back games since dropping two straight on Jan. 5 and Jan. 9 in 2014.
- Sophomore Makayla Epps led the Wildcats with 19 points.
- It is her third straight game to lead the Cats in scoring and seventh time this season.
- It was her ninth consecutive game in double figures and 22nd of the season.
- She also tied for the team lead in rebounding with nine boards, the fifth time she has led the team this season.
- Since becoming the starting point guard vs. Florida on Jan. 15, Epps has averaged 19.9 points per game.
- Senior Jennifer O’Neill tallied 10 points.
- It is her 21st double-figure game of the season and 68th of her career.
- She broke a streak of 15 straight games with at least one 3-pointer.
- Senior Bria Goss scored 10 points, her 10th double-figure game of the season and 69th of her career.
- Goss was 8 of 8 at the foul line.
- Sophomore Linnae Harper scored 13 points and has reached double figures in a team-best 24 of 26 games this season.
- UK’s leading rebounder grabbed seven rebounds, her 13th game this season with seven or more.
- Senior Azia Bishop scored 11 points, her sixth double-figure game of the season and 20th of her career. Like Epps, she narrowly missed a double-double by gathering nine rebounds.