Kentucky-Tennessee Postgame Notes
Feb. 16, 2014
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improved to 19-6 overall this season and 7-5 in the SEC.
- Kentucky’s all-time record is 705-483 (.593) in 40 seasons of varsity basketball.
- Mitchell is in his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats and owns a record of 163-68 at UK. Overall, Mitchell is 193-97 in nine seasons.
- He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 163 and winning percentage (.706).
- Mitchell is now 68-36 in SEC play, and 28-24 on the road.
- UK is now 10-49 all-time vs. Tennessee, including a 3-21 record in games played in Knoxville.
- The Wildcats have won three of the last four meetings overall between the two programs.
- The win marks UK’s first-ever in Thompson-Boling Arena and first in Knoxville since 1985 (Stokely Athletics Center).
- The final score of 75-71 marks the closest margin of victory over the Lady Vols in Knoxville since Jan. 23, 1985 when UK won by four, 76-72, in overtime.
- Kentucky is now 4-2 on the season vs. ranked opponents and 3-2 vs. the AP top 10.
- Tonight’s attendance was 15,664.
- Next up: The Wildcats return to the friendly confines of Memorial Coliseum Thursday, Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. ET vs. No. 5 South Carolina. The game will be televised on the UK IMG Sports Network and FSN.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Kastine Evans, Bria Goss, DeNesha Stallworth and Samarie Walker.
- The Wildcats are 13-3 with this lineup on the season.
- Janee Thompson scored the first point of the game for UK by hitting 1-of-2 free throws.
- Azia Bishop was the first UK player off the bench at the 16:32 mark in the first half.
- UK is 16-2 this season when leading at the half and 5-2 in SEC play.
- UK led 38-34 at the half, marking the first time the Wildcats have led at the half in Knoxville since Jan. 11, 1987 when UK led 33-29 in Stokely Athletics Center. It marked the first halftime lead in Thompson-Boling Arena for UK.
- Jennifer O’Neill scored 13 of her 24 points in the first half.
- Janee Thompson recorded 11 of her 15 points in the opening half.
Second Half Notes
- DeNesha Stallworth registered 13 of her 17 points in the final half.
- UK held Tennessee to only one field goal in the last four minutes.
- UK has hit a 3-pointer in 353 consecutive games.
- The Wildcats have forced double-digit turnovers in 177 consecutive games.
- Kentucky is 62-40 overall in close games (games decided by 10 points or less) under Coach Mitchell, including a 6-6 mark this season.
- UK got a big lift from its bench today, outscoring the Lady Vols, 33-10 in bench scoring.
- The Wildcats forced 22 Tennessee turnovers on 13 steals and improved to 12-1 this season when forcing 20-plus miscues.
- Junior point guard Jennifer O’Neill notched her 18th double-figure game of the season with a game-high 24 points off the bench.
- Fifth game of the season and third-straight game with 20 or more points.
- First UK player to record three consecutive 20-point games since A’dia Mathies vs. Arkansas on Jan. 5, 2012 (21), vs. Mississippi State on Jan. 8, 2012 (20) and vs. Tennessee on Jan. 12, 2012 (34).
- UK improved to 16-2 this season when O’Neill reaches double figures.
- Senior forward DeNesha Stallworth came up one rebound shy of her third straight double-double, finishing with 17 points and nine rebounds.
- Her 12th game of the season in double figures and third straight.
- Tied a season high with four steals.
- Made a season-high eight field goals (8-of-14).
- Sophomore point guard Janee Thompson finished with 15 points.
- Marks her 13th game of the season in double figures and first in her last four games.
- Tied a career high with seven assists.
- Senior guard Kastine Evans has made at least one 3-pointer in 22-of-24 games this season after going 1-of-2 tonight.
- Hit 3-of-4 free throws in the final 35 seconds to seal the win.