Kentucky-South Carolina Postgame Notes
Feb. 5, 2009
Team Records and Series Notes
- The Wildcats improve to 13-10 overall, 3-5 in the SEC while South Carolina falls to 9-12, 1-7 in conference play.
- UK leads the overall series 25-16, including a 15-5 advantage in Lexington. UK has won eight of the last 10 meetings, including five straight in Memorial Coliseum.
- Coach Mitchell is now 2-1 all-time vs. the Gamecocks.
- UK remains to Memorial Coliseum Sunday, Feb. 8 for National Girls and Women in Sports Day and Alumni Day. The game will be televised on BBSN/FSN South at 1 p.m.
Team Game Notes
- UK returned to its original line-up of Victoria Dunlap, Eleia Roddy, Carly Ormerod, Amber Smith and Amani Franklin. They last played together against Xavier on Dec. 2. This line-up improves to 1-2.
- Three Wildcats scored in double-digits led by Amber Smith's 13, Eleia Roddy's 11 and Victoria Dunlap's 10.
- UK is now 11-4 this season and 3-3 in conference play when three or more players record double-digits.
- All eight Wildcats who saw playing time scored at least two points.
- UK has now hit a three-pointer in 175 consecutive games. Amber Smith and Amani Franklin each hit one from the perimeter.
- The Wildcats held the Gamecocks to only 15 points in the first half, the lowest points scored in a half by an opponent since Alabama A&M charted only 18 on Dec. 19, 2008
- UK held South Carolina to 47 points, tying for the team's third-lowest output this season.
- UK also held South Carolina to 14.3 percent shooting in the first half, a season low for the Gamecocks.
- It also marked the first time an opponent hit less than 15 percent in half against Kentucky since Mississippi Valley State shot just 13.8 percent in the second half on Dec. 19, 2006.
- For the game, UK held the Gamecocks to 23.6 percent (13-of-55) shooting from the floor. It was the lowest output for an opponent this season. The Cats have now held all 23 opponents to 50.0 percent shooting or less.
- UK capitalized on South Carolina's miscues, turning the Gamecocks' 17 turnovers into 18 points.
- Kentucky outscored USC inside the paint 28-12 and 19-3 in second-chance points.
- The Cats outrebounded South Carolina by a 20 rebound margin (49-29), the largest rebounding margin since outrebounding George Washington 50-30 on Nov. 23, 2008.
Individual Game Notes
- Senior center Eleia Roddy earned her 14 th career and 10 th season double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds, 10 of which were on the defensive end.
- She currently leads the SEC in double-doubles and has double-figure points in 17 of 23 games, including five of the last six. She also has double-figure rebounding in 11 games this season.
- Roddy moves to fifth on UK's career double-doubles list with SeSe Helm.
- Sophomore Amber Smith contributed 13 points, including a three-pointer, her 10 th trey for the season.
- Sophomore Victoria Dunlap grabbed 10 points, hitting 6-of-8 from the free-throw line. She also grabbed one steal and now has at least one steal in 21 of 23 games this season.
- Junior Amani Franklin grabbed eight rebounds while posting nine points in a career high-tying 37 minutes .
- Senior Jenn'e Jackson came off the bench to tie her season-high in rebounds with seven. She also grabbed a season high-tying three defensive rebounds.
- Senior Carly Ormerod grabbed a season-high six rebounds, all defensive.