Kentucky-Ole Miss Postgame Notes
Jan. 4, 2015
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 13-2, 2-0 SEC, while Ole Miss falls to 11-4, 1-1 SEC.
- Kentucky moves to 724-488 (62.9) all-time in 41 seasons of varsity women’s basketball and 190-158 (54.9) in the month of January.
- Matthew Mitchell, UK’s all-time winningest coach, improves to 213-102 overall, 183-73 at UK.
- Mitchell is now 73-37 in SEC play.
- Kentucky improves to 393-144 all-time in Memorial, including 103-16 under Matthew Mitchell.
- This was UK’s 11th-straight win at home which ties for the seventh-longest home winning streak in program history.
- This was the 36th meeting between the programs since UK became a varsity sport in 1974-75.
- Ole Miss leads the all-time series 20-16.
- Kentucky has won six in row over Ole Miss and five straight in Memorial Coliseum.
- Today’s attendance was 6,162.
- Next up: UK will play host to Auburn on Thursday night in Memorial Coliseum. The game will be shown live on the SEC Network+ at 7 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Kyvin Goodin-Rogers, Linnae Harper, Makayla Epps and Azia Bishop for the third time this season and second straight game.
- Sophomore Linnae Harper led UK with eight points to go along with a team-high six rebounds, an assist and two steals.
- Kentucky forced Ole Miss into 10 turnovers and scored eight points off those turnovers.
- Ole Miss led a majority of the half, with UK grabbing its first lead with 4:12 remaining at 22-21.
- UK shot just 28.1 percent from the floor (9-of-32) including 0-of-6 from 3-point range.
- The Wildcats went 7-of-9 from the free throw line.
- UK is now 6-2 when trailing at the half, 2-0 when trailing at home.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with Alexis Jennings replacing Kyvin Goodin-Rogers from its starting five.
- Trailing by six points at 36-30, UK went on a 12-2 run sparked by five points from Janee Thompson to take its first second-half lead at 42-38.
- With the game tied at 58 with 2:22 to play, Thompson hit a key layup to give UK a 60-58 lead. Harper then swiped two crucial steals in the final minute and hit a layup of her own to push the lead to 62-58. O’Neill sealed the win with two free throws with 47 seconds to play.
- UK went 11-of-34, shooting 32.4 from the floor in the second half.
- The Wildcats held Ole Miss to just 10-of-33, shooting 30.3 percent from the floor.
- UK outrebounded Ole Miss 26-12 in the second half, including a 13-8 edge on the offensive glass.
- UK outscored Ole Miss 39-31 in the second half.
- UK shot a season-low 30.3 percent (20-of-66) in the game.
- UK’s four guards, Janee Thompson, Linnae Harper, Makayla Epps and Jen O’Neill combined for 54 of Kentucky’s 64 points and 25 of UK’s 46 rebounds.
- Combined for nine steals and seven assists, as well as going 20-of-28 from the free throw line.
- Kentucky forced 20 turnovers and has now forced 20 or more in 14 of 15 games this season, including eight straight.
- UK scored 22 points off the turnovers.
- UK is now 12-1 this season when forcing double-digit turnovers.
- The Wildcats outscored Ole Miss 22-11 in bench points.
- UK charted 11 steals, the fourth straight game with double digits.
- Kentucky outrebounded Ole Miss 46-39.
- The 46 boards are the most since grabbing 50 against Appalachian State on Nov. 14.
- Marked the third-most rebounds for UK this year.
- UK improves to 3-1 this season in games decided by 6-10 points.
- Kentucky is 74-42 all-time under Matthew Mitchell in games decided 10 points, including 6-1 this season.
- Junior point guard Janee Thompson scored a team-high 17 points, 15 coming in the decisive second half.
- Second straight double-figure scoring game, and eighth of the season.
- Went 9-of-11 from the free throw line.
- Had three steals, marking the third straight game she has three or more steals.
- Senior guard Jen O’Neill scored 13 points off the bench.
- Marked her team-high 58th career scoring game, including 12th this season.
- Moved up four spots to No. 18 all-time in scoring at UK and now has 1,182 career points. She needs six more to pass Maria Donhoff (1978-81 - 1,187) at No. 17.
- Sophomore guard Makayla Epps scored 12 points while grabbing six rebounds.
- Her third straight double-figure scoring game and 12th of the season.
- Had a career-high 17 field goal attempts.
- Went a perfect 6-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Sophomore guard Linnae Harper scored 12 points and grabbed a career high 14 rebounds.
- Marked her third season and career double-double ... Also had double-doubles vs. Morehead State (11/19/14) and Oklahoma (11/28/14).
- Third game of the season with 10+ rebounds.
- Had a career-high eight offensive rebounds.
- Went 6-of-16 from the free throw line.
- Had a game-high four steals for the third game in a row and now has a team-leading 32.
- Marked the most rebounds in a game since DeNesha Stallworth had 20 vs. Texas A&M on Feb. 27, 2014.