Kentucky-Mississippi Valley State Postgame Notes
Jan. 1, 2010
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 12-1, while Mississippi Valley State slips to 3-8.
- Kentucky improves to 2-0 in the series with Mississippi Valley State. The Wildcats also topped the Devilettes, 84-37, in 2006.
- The Wildcats improve to 6-0 all-time against teams from the Southwest Athletic Conference.
- Kentucky has won 12 of its first 13 games in a season for just the fifth time in school history and the first since the 1990-91 campaign. The achievement also was reached during the 1982-83, 1980-81, and 1979-80 seasons.
- The Wildcats have won 10 consecutive home games, including a 9-0 mark this season. The 10-game home win streak ties for the seventh-longest in school history. Kentucky owns a 319-138 all-time mark at Memorial Coliseum.
- Kentucky has won 14 in a row against non-conference foes at home.
- UK has won 18 of its last 20 games against non-conference opponents.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell's career mark moves to 75-62, including a 45-33 record at Kentucky. Mitchell is 1-0 all-time against Mississippi Valley State.
- UK owns a 587-448 all-time record in 36 years of varsity women's basketball.
- Up next: Kentucky opens Southeastern Conference play when it travels to Athens, Ga., to battle No. 9/8 Georgia Thursday, Jan. 7. Game time at Stegeman Coliseum is set for 7 p.m. EST.
Team Game Notes
- Key Run: After Mississippi Valley State guard Ashley Brown's three-pointer pulled the Devilettes to within 14-12 at 13:59, UK's A'dia Mathies answered with five points during an 8-2 run to give the Wildcats a 22-14 lead. MSVU scored the next two baskets before Kentucky went on a 17-7 run for a 39-25 halftime advantage. Amani Franklin scored five points and Lydia Watkins had four points to spark the run. Kentucky held the Devilettes without a field goal the final 6:27 of the first half.
- Kentucky is 11-0 this season when scoring 60 or more points, 5-0 when scoring 90 or more.
- The Wildcats are 259-19 when scoring 80 points or more, including a 13-1 record in the Mitchell era.
- The Wildcats have held 11 of 13 opponents under 60 points this season.
- The 45-point margin of victory was the third highest this season. UK has defeated seven opponent by 30-plus points this season.
- The Wildcats caused a school-record 40 turnovers by Mississippi Valley State, 20 in each half. UK has forced its opponents into 20 or more miscues in 11 of 13 contests this season, including three games with 30 or more.
- Kentucky has recorded double-digit steal totals in each of the last nine games and 10 times this season. The Wildcats grabbed 20 steals against MVSU, one shy of the season-high set against Louisville (12/23/09).
- Kentucky hit six three-pointers against the Devilettes and has now hit at least one three-pointer in 200 consecutive games, dating back to 2003-04.
- UK has held 11 of 13 opponents under 60 points this season.
- Wildcat reserves have outscored opponent bench players 146-22 over the past five games. UK's bench outscored MVSU 34-7.
- Ten of 11 players that saw action scored at least three points. All 11 Wildcats grabbed at least one rebound.
- Victoria Dunlap , Amber Smith , Amani Franklin , Carly Morrow , and A'dia Mathies started the Mississippi Valley State game. It marked the 12th time in 13 games the group took the floor first for the Wildcats.
Individual Game Notes
- Victoria Dunlap scored 21 points on 6-of-12 shooting from the field and 9-of-10 shooting from the line to go with five rebounds and five steals.
- Dunlap has scored in double figures in 18 consecutive games.
- Dunlap has scored 20 or more points 11 times in her career, including six occasions this season.
- She has recorded at least one steal in 18 consecutive games. She has swiped three or more steals in each of her last eight games.
- A'dia Mathies scored 15 points, with a career-high eight steals and four assists. She has reached double-figures in scoring in 10 or 13 games this season, including each of Kentucky's nine home games.
- Carly Morrow attempted four three-pointers against MVSU, making one. She has made at least one three-pointer in 12 of 13 games this season, including 11 in a row. Morrow moves into eighth-place on UK's career three-point attempts list with 295. She moves past Natalie Martinez (1996-2000) who attempted 292 during her career.
- Amani Franklin tallied seven points and seven rebounds against MVSU. She has grabbed at least six rebounds in each of the last eight games.
- Rebecca Gray finished with nine points and one three-pointer. She has hit at least one three-pointer in eight of 12 games played.
- Freshman reserve center Anna Cole registered her first collegiate field goal and finished with three points. She has scored at least one point in each of her last five games played.