Emge Leads Late Kentucky Rally Past No. 16 LSU
After Kentucky trailed 3-1 late in the match, UK picked up victories at the Nos. 4 and 6 positions from Alex Hume and Marcus Sundh, respectively, knotting the score at three. Emge dropped his first set in a tiebreaker against 83rd-ranked Jason Hazley at the No. 3 spot and trailed 3-0 in the second set before commencing his rally. Emge took the next five games for a 5-3 lead before Hazley tied the set at five. Emge took the final two games to force a final set. Emge and Hazley each held serve early on before Emge pulled away to sweep the remainder of the set, 6-2.
LSU (12-6, 0-5) took a 1-0 lead after taking doubles matches at the one and two positions. The Tigers? Mark Growcott defeated UK?s Matt Emery in straight sets for a 2-0 LSU lead. UK?s Jesse Witten made short work of LSU?s Ken Skupski at the first singles slot to cut the deficit to 2-1. The Tigers? Danny Bryan tallied the final point for LSU with a straight-set win over UK?s Tigran Martirosyan at the fifth singles position.
Kentucky (12-6, 2-3) wraps up its road trip Sunday at Arkansas.
No. 30 Kentucky 4, No. 16 LSU 3
1. No. 6 Ken Skupski/Mark Growcott (LSU) def. No. 21 Jesse Witten/Tigran Martirosyan (UK) - 8-4
2. No. 37 Colt Gaston/Danny Bryan (LSU) def. Matt Emery/Marcus Sundh (UK) - 8-4
3. Jason Hazley/Peter Richman (LSU) vs. Alex Hume/Nate Emge (UK) - 4-5, unfinished
1 No. 4 Jesse Witten (UK) def. No. 12 Ken Skupski (LSU) - 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 84 Mark Growcott (LSU) def. Matt Emery (UK) - 6-2, 6-1
3. Nate Emge (UK) def. No. 83 Jason Hazley (LSU) - 6-7 (8-10), 7-5, 6-2
4. Alex Hume (UK) def. Peter Richman (LSU) - 6-2, 6-2
5. Danny Bryan (LSU) def. Tigran Martirosyan (UK) - 6-4, 6-2
6. Marcus Sundh (UK) def. Paul White (LSU) - 6-4, 6-4