Wake Forest Downs Northwestern 4-0
May 8, 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Paced by wins from the No.6 ranked doubles team of Cory Parr and Steven Forman and single wins on the first three courts, the No. 18 ranked Wake Forest Men's tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 dominating win over No. 42 Northwestern.
The Demon Deacons will now play the winner of the second game of the day between Cleveland State and the host Kentucky. Kentucky and Cleveland State are set to begin at approximately 1:30 p.m.
The match started well for Wake Forest as Parr and Forman beat the double team of Marc Swyer and Alex Sanborn, 8-5. Wake Forest then captured the first point of the match with a doubles win on court three, as Jonathan Wolff and David Hopkins beat Andrew McCarthy and Alexander Thams, 8-6. The doubles match on court two was in a tiebreaker when the match on court three concluded and Wake Forest grabbed the doubles point.
The Demon Deacons showed similar dominance on the singles side as well, posting wins on the first three courts to grab the four points needed for a win. Parr won the second point of the match for Wake Forest posting a 6-0, 6-1 win over Dwyer. The final two points of the match came when Forman beat Thams 6-1, 6-4 and Wolff beat Thobias Reitz 6-2, 6-3. On the other three courts, Wake Forest lead in two out of the three matches. In the second set, the Demon Deacons lead on court four 6-1, 1-2 and on court five 7-5, 3-0. Northwestern lead in the first set on court six, 6-5.
The Demon Deacons will now take on either Cleveland State or Kentucky tomorrow at 1 p.m. ET at the Boone Tennis Center.
#18 Wake Forest 4, #42 Northwestern 0
- #10 Cory Parr (WF) def. Marc Dwyer (NU) 6-0, 6-1
- Steven Forman (WF) def. Alexander Thams (NU) 6-1, 6-4
- Jonathan Wolff (WF) def. Tobias Reitz (NU) 6-2, 6-3
- David Hopkins (WF) led Joshua Graves (NU) 6-1, 1-2, unfinished
- Iain Atkinson (WF) led Alex Sanborn (NU) 7-5, 3-0 unfinished
- Andrew McCarthy( NU) led Jason Morgenstern (WF) 6-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*
- #6 Steven Forman / Cory Parr (WF) def. Marc Dwyer / Alex Sanborn (NU) 8-5
- Iain Atkinson / Carlos Salmon (WF) tied Joshua Graves / Tobias Reitz (NU) 8-8, unfinished
- David Hopkins / Jonathan Wolff (WF) def. Andrew McCarthy / Alexander Thams (NU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3