No. 8 Men's Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader Over Lipscomb, Centre
April 13, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- The eighth-ranked University of Kentucky men's tennis team won a pair of matches against Lipscomb and Centre to wrap up its 2010 non-conference schedule Tuesday at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center.
Kentucky (22-7) recorded a 6-1 victory over Lipscomb in the afternoon then posted a 6-0 win over Centre on Tuesday night.
The Wildcats grabbed the doubles points against Lipscomb with victories at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles. The UK duo of sophomore Eric Quigley and freshman Anthony Rossi charted an 8-4 win over Daniel Haugstefer and Joe McArdle at No. 1 doubles. Sophomores Matt Davis and Chris Leeper earned an 8-5 victory against Mario Hernandez and Colby Shaw at No. 3 doubles.
All of Kentucky singles wins over the Bisons came in straight sets, beginning with Quigley at No. 1 singles and senior Alex Lambropoulos at No. 2 singles. Quigley notched a 6-1, 6-2 win over Haugstefer while Lambropoulos recorded a 6-2, 6-1 victory against Chad Pierron. UK junior Alberto Gonzalez clinched the Wildcats' victory with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Tanner Brown at No. 5 singles.
Against Centre, the Wildcats swept all singles matches, getting wins from sophomore Alex Musialek, Lambropoulos, Cox, Leeper, Davis and Rossi. The two teams decided to play singles first and only play doubles if necessary. All six singles wins for Kentucky were in straight sets.
The wins over Lipscomb and Center extends Kentucky's winning streak to eight matches, including winning 11 of its last 12. UK will carry the winning streak into a key match with No. 31 Vanderbilt on Saturday. The match with the Commodores, which is the last home match of the season, will begin at 1 p.m. ET.
No. 8 Kentucky 6, Lipscomb 1
1. No. 11 Eric Quigley (UK) def. Daniel Haugstefer (LU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Alex Lambropoulos (UK) def. Chad Pierron (LU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Brad Cox (UK) def. Mario Hernandez (LU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Colby Shaw (LU) def. Chris Leeper (UK) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alberto Gonzalez (UK) def. Tanner Brown (LU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Matt Davis (UK) def. James Murrell (LU) 7-5, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 6
1. Eric Quigley/Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Daniel Haugstefer/Joe McArdle (LU) 8-4
2. Tanner Brown/Chad Pierron (LU) def. Alberto Gonzalez/Alex Lambropoulos (UK) 8-5
3. Matt Davis/Chris Leeper (UK) def. Mario Hernandez/Colby Shaw (LU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
No. 8 Kentucky 6, Centre 0
1. No. 50 Alex Musialek (UK) def. Ben Newstadt (CC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Alex Lambropoulos (UK) def. Lucas Kelley (CC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Brad Cox (UK) def. Xan Witherington (CC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Chris Leeper (UK) def. Richard Rumble (CC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Matt Davis (UK) def. Kit Brunner (CC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Lee Myers-White (CC) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 3, 5, 2, 4