Men's Tennis Falls at Illinois 4-3
April 8, 2009
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -
Playing in its final non-conference contest of the season, the No. 14 Kentucky men's tennis team fell 4-3 to No. 11 Illinois at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex in Champaign, Ill., Wednesday afternoon.
Illinois (17-5) slipped past the Cats to win the doubles point; then rode that momentum to take three of the first four singles contests to clinch the win.
In doubles, the No. 49 Illini tandem of Marek Czerwinski and Marc Spicijaric knocked off UK freshmen Graeme Dyce and Eric Quigley 8-4 on court two for the early advantage. The Cats bounced back on court three as sophomore Alberto Gonzalez and freshman Alex Musialek beat Illinois' Waylon Chin and Brian Livingston 8-5, setting up a battle between two top-20 teams on court one.
The No. 18 hosts Dennis Nevolo and Ruan Roelofse battled UK the No. 19 UK pairing of senior Bruno Agostinelli and sophomore Brad Cox played a close match throughout with ties at three-all, seven-all and eight-all to force a tiebreaker. The Illini took the breaker to take the match and doubles point for a 1-0 lead.
Later in singles action, No. 39 Nevolo padded the Illini lead with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Cox on court two.
UK (14-8, 4-4 SEC) earned its first point on court four as Musialek knocked out Chin 6-4, 6-1, cutting the Illinois lead to 2-1.
After not playing in doubles, a well-rested No. 42 Roy Kalmanovich of Illinois increased the hosts' lead to 3-1 on court two, defeating Quigley 7-6, 6-3.
The Illini clinched the match on court six when Czernewski defeated Gonzalez 6-2, 7-6.
The Cats continued to fight on the court with two more singles victories to close out the match.
On court five, Dyce battled back from down a set to take his match against Roelofse 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Later on court one, No. 5 Agostinelli posted another win over a ranked player defeating No. 79 Spicijaric 6-4, 7-5.
The Cats return to Lexington Friday to host No. 4 Tennessee. UK wraps up their regular-season home schedule against No. 5 Georgia on Sunday.
Please visit UKathletics.com for all of the latest Kentucky men's tennis news.
Apr. 8, 2009
Champaign, Ill. (Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex)
#11 Illinois 4, #14 Kentucky 3
1. #5 Bruno Agostinelli (UK) def. #79 Marc Spicijaric (ILL) 6-4, 7-5
2. #42 Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Eric Quigley (UK) 7-6, 6-3
3. #39 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Brad Cox (UK) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alex Musialek (UK) def. Waylon Chin (ILL) 6-4, 6-1
5. Graeme Dyce (UK) def. Ruan Roelofse (ILL) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Marek Czerwinski (ILL) def. Alberto Gonzalez (UK) 6-2, 7-6
Order of finish: 3, 4, 2, 6, 5, 1
1. #18 Dennis Nevolo / Ruan Roelofse (ILL) def. #19 Bruno Agostinelli / Brad Cox (UK) 9-8
2. #49 Marek Czerwinski / Marc Spicijaric (ILL) def. Graeme Dyce / Eric Quigley (UK) 8-4
3. Alberto Gonzalez / Alex Musialek (UK) def. Waylon Chin / Brian Livingston (ILL) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1