No. 9 Men's Tennis Dominates No. 45 Miami for 5-2 Victory
March 19, 2010
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Kentucky men's tennis team (12-6, 2-2 SEC) got back on the winning track, posting a 5-2 dominating road victory at No. 45 Miami (5-6, 0-3 ACC) Friday. The Wildcats won the doubles point, claiming wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles and posted four singles wins for the victory.
The scoring started when Kentucky won the doubles point for the third time in the last four matches, getting wins by No. 15 sophomore Eric Quigley and junior Brad Cox and senior Alex Lambropoulos and junior Alberto Gonzalez. Lambropoulos/Goonzalez posted a win over No. 53 Keith Crowley and Hector Nieto 8-5. The victory for the UK tandem claimed the doubles point for the Cats. Quigley/Cox nabbed Kentucky's first doubles win with an 8-4 victory over Christian Blocker and David Simon.
Freshman Anthony Rossi took UK's first singles point on court No. 4, defeating Simon in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. With another dominating victory, junior Alberto Gonzalez topped Nieto 6-0, 6-2 on court No. 5.
No. 10 Quigley took Kentucky's third point at No. 1 singles after battling Blocker in two sets. In the first set, Quigley claimed the tiebreaker with a 7-6 victory. Quigley and Blocker again played neck-and-neck, with Quigley finally taking the point with a 7-5 second-set decision.
Sophomore Graeme Dyce fell behind early on court No. 6, losing his first set against Barnabas Carrega 4-6. Dyce fought back with a second-set 6-3 victory and secured the match for Kentucky, winning the third set 6-2.
Next, Kentucky returns to Southeastern Conference action Sunday when they take on No. 56 Auburn at home.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for full coverage of the Kentucky men's tennis team.
Tennis Match Results
Kentucky vs. Miami
3/19/2010 at Coral Gables, Fla.
No. 9 Kentucky 5, No. 45 Miami 2
1. #10 Eric Quigley (UK) def. Christian Blocker (UM) 7-6, 7-5
2. Carl Sundberg (UM) def. #37 Alex Musialek (UK) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
3. Keith Crowley (UM) def. Brad Cox (UK) 6-4, 7-6
4. Anthony Rossi (UK) def. David Simon (UM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alberto Gonzalez (UK) def. Hector Nieto (UM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Graeme Dyce (UK) def. Barnabas Carrega (UM) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. #15 Eric Quigley/Brad Cox (UK) def. Christian Blocker/David Simon (UM) 8-4
2. Alberto Gonzalez/Alex Lambropoulos (UK) def. #53 Keith Crowley/Hector Nieto (UM) 8-5
3. Carl Sundberg/Barnabas Carrega (UM) def. Alex Musialek/Anthony Rossi (UK) no result
Kentucky 12-6; National ranking No. 9
Miami 5-6; National ranking No. 45
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,5,3,1,6,2)