No. 8 Wildcats Sweep Doubleheader with Jacksonville State, Belmont
Feb. 28, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Sophomore No. 29 Alex Musialek and juniors Brad Cox and No. 125 Alberto Gonzalez each won two singles matches as the eighth-ranked Kentucky men’s tennis team sweep a doubleheader with Jacksonville State and Belmont at the Pat M. Courington Tennis Pavilion on the campus of Samford University on Sunday.
Kentucky (9-4) dominated the first match of the day in defeating Jacksonville State 6-1 before securing the sweep with a 5-1 win over Belmont. The win improved the Wildcats to 9-4 on the season, upholding UK’s ranking of eighth, the highest ranking since the 2002 season.
Against Jacksonville State, Kentucky started the scoring by gathering its seventh doubles point in the last nine matches. The Wildcats posted wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles position, getting an 8-6 win from Musialek and freshman Anthony Rossi at No. 2 doubles. The Wildcats claimed the doubles point with an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles from Cox and sophomore Matt Davis.
Against the Gamecocks, UK earned singles wins from Musialek, Cox, sophomore Graeme Dyce, Gonzalez and Davis. Musialek, Cox, Dyce and Gonzalez posted straight-set victories. Davis posted a come-from-behind victory in his match for his first win of the season. The native of Gainesville, Fla., lost the first set to JSU’s Felipe Watanabe 5-7, but came back to win the second 6-1 and claim the match with a 10-7 third-set tiebreaker.
In the second match against Belmont, which was played with a singles-first format, Kentucky got the second singles win of the day from Musialek, Cox and Gonzalez. The win for Musialek and Gonzalez, who won their second match of the day by straight sets, moved each player to a team-high nine singles wins this season. Cox won his second match in three sets, posting a 6-2, 5-7, 6-2 win over sophomore Renato Antun. Kentucky’s other singles wins came from senior Alex Lambropoulos and freshman Anthony Rossi. The win was the third of the year for Lambropoulos and the sixth of the season for Rossi.
Kentucky will return to action on Friday at the Hilary J. Boone Indoor Tennis Complex when it plays host to Mississippi State in its Southeastern Conference opener at 4 p.m. EST. Live stats will be available on ukathletics.com.
Pat M. Courington Tennis Pavilion
Hosted by: Samford University
No. 8 Kentucky 6, Jacksonville State 1
1. No. 29 Alex Musialek (UK) def. Axel Sundberg (JSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Brad Cox (UK) def. Gustavo Holz (JSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Graeme Dyce (UK) def. Nenard Marcec (JSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. No. 125 Alberto Gonzalez (UK) def. Chris Duke (JSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Igor Santos (JSU) def. Alex Lambropoulos (UK) 7-5, 6-0
6. Matt Davis (UK) def. Felipe Watanabe (JSU) 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Duke/Sandborg (JSU) def. Gonzalez/Lambropoulos (UK) 9-8 (12-10)
2. Musialek/Rossi (UK) def. Holz/Marcec (JSU) 8-6
3. Cox/Davis (UK) def. Bellman/Watanabe (JSU) 8-3
No. 8 Kentucky 5, Belmont 1
1. No. 29 Alex Musialek (UK) def. Rodrigo Amaral (BU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Brad Cox (UK) def. Renato Antun (JSU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
3. Joao Paoliello (JSU) def. Graeme Dyce (UK) 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
4. Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Rafael Matos (JSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alex Lambropoulos (UK) def. Bruno Silva (JSU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
6. No. 125 Alberto Gonzalez (UK) def. Felipe Cirne Lima 6-0, 6-1
Doubles Not Played