No. 9 Men's Tennis Claims Doubles Point, Falls to No. 3 Buckeyes
Feb. 21, 2010
COLUMBUS, Ohio -
The ninth-ranked University of Kentucky men's tennis team won the doubles but could not find its touch in singles falling short of the upset bid of No. 3 Ohio State 5-2 on Sunday.
Kentucky got on the board first in the match getting wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to claim the doubles point. Kentucky's 14th-ranked doubles team of sophomore Eric Quigley and junior Brad Cox grabbed the first doubles win by defeating Chase Buchanan and Justin Kronauge at the No. 1 doubles position 8-3. Quigley and Cox have now won six doubles matches this season.
UK claimed the doubles point when senior Alex Lambropoulos and junior Alberto Gonzalez defeated Matt Allare and Shuhei Uzawa 8-5. It marks the sixth doubles point in the last eight matches. Lambropoulos and Gonzalez played at the No. 3 doubles position for the first time since the beginning of the season.
One Wildcat posted a win in singles in No. 125 Gonzalez. The native of Bradenton, Fla., defeated Uzawa 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (10-7) at No. 5 singles. Gonzalez is now 8-3 on the season in singles.
Kentucky will return to action Sunday, Feb. 28 in Birmingham, Ala., when it faces Samford at 11 a.m. ET and Belmont at 3:30 p.m. ET.
No. 3 Ohio State 5, No. 9 Kentucky 2
1. No. 52 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. No. 8 Eric Quigley (KENTUCKY) 7-5, 6-2
2. No. 43 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. No. 29 Alex Musialek (KENTUCKY) 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 46 Dino Marcan (OSU) def. Brad Cox (KENTUCKY) 6-4, 6-2
4. Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Anthony Rossi (KENTUCKY) 6-2, 6-4
5. No. 125 Alberto Gonzalez (KENTUCKY) def. Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Matt Allare (OSU) def. Graeme Dyce (KENTUCKY) 6-3, 6-4
1. No. 14 Brad Cox/Eric Quigley (KENTUCKY) def. Chase Buchanan/Justin Kronauge (OSU) 8-3
2. Dino Marcan/Balazs Novak (OSU) def. No. 37 Alex Musialek/Anthony Rossi (KENTUCKY) 8-6
3. Alex Lambropoulos/Alberto Gonzalez (KENTUCKY) def. Matt Allare/Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) 8-5